saving fertile eggs...

amberkay

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
Battleground, WA
I am wondering how to keep fertile eggs. What's the best way to store them and how long can I store them BEFORE putting them in an incubator or under a broody? I am very new at this. Just discovered my silky is a roo, and his favorite hen is a frizzle! <3

Most people probably keep them at room temperature. I have just put them in an egg carton on the kitchen counter, and tipped it to one side, and alternated the tipping morning and evening. They should keep well for about a week then begin to deteriorate.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I see you didn't get an answer, so....

I've placed eggs in a cooler for several days with small ice packs and something to place under the egg carton. The cooler stayed about 65 or so, and I "turned" (rather, tilted) several times per day. Some folks have taken eggs from the fridge up to 2 weeks...but I would not recommend that...though I had 2 of mine that way and they were fine. Between what people actually do, and what folks are willing to admit that they do, you'll get different answers. ;) The most common advice I see here is to keep the eggs at 55-65 degree F, and to get them into the incubator within 10 day. After 10 days, viability starts to go down. The warner the temps, the less time you'll want to keep them sitting out.

If you go from fridge to incubator...make sure you let them sit for a couple hours first on the counter to slowly get to room temp. Cold eggs in a warm (incubator) environment will cause heavy condensation on the eggs...which could be bad...but I'm not exactly sure why.

I keep mine at room temp in egg cartons for up to two weeks . Though I collect when still heating late winter so the warmest they get is 67F.

The important thing is to tilt/turn them and if in egg cartons keep the fat end up.

I put mine in a medium sized cooler with a frozen gallon jug of water, in an egg carton. I do tilt the egg carton from one side to the other...when I think about it. The frozen gallon jug will keep the temp about 55-60 for a day or so, depending on outside temps of course. I just swap out the thawed jug for another frozen one when it's needed.

Some folks have taken eggs from the fridge up to 2 weeks...but I would not recommend that..
Yeah, that would be me. I started a thread about it called the Refrigerator Egg Thread. But I wouldn't recommend it, either. Keep them at room temperature. I only did it as an experiment and sort-of desperation. I have two people wanting to buy large-fowl chicks from me, and I hadn't been hatching or collecting any (I was focused on my new frizzle chicks). I had been putting all of the large fowl eggs in the refrigerator! SO FAR, they are still growing and developing. And I'm still 10 days away from possible hatch. But again, I wouldn't recommend purposely storing your eggs there, if you intend to hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom