Saving up eggs to incubate...decisions to make, please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Citychick11, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Citychick11

Citychick11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2014
    Hi, I have about a dozen eggs that I have gathered this week in hopes of incubating them when I get enough. I haven't refrigerated them and I have been turning them by tipping one side of the crate up and then the other. Is this the right start? Did I do anything to wreck the process? Each of them are labeled by date so I can track how old they are.

My plan is to pick 10 to incubate in a mini incubator that will be arriving later this week. However, I do have a white rock and a barred rock that tend to get broody. They always have feathers missing on their bellies and they hide their eggs in the yard quite often. If I put one of them in a kennel with a soft cozy nest box and a clutch of eggs, would she go broody and set on them? I have so many questions about how to do that.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    TJ

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You could try some eggs in a nest to see if she sets but there are never guarantees.
    Cool with relatively high humidity is best for storage but anything over 10 days probably won't hatch.

3. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    I save my hatching eggs in the basement on a pool table. I tilt the cartons up on the edge of the table,seems to work great. I don't keep over two weeks.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You are not going to be able to "make" a hen go broody and I feel if you take a hen away from her regular place and put her in a kennel----It would probably scare her to the point she would not think about going broody. I feel you can encourage a hen to go broody(might/might not) by placing fake eggs(golf balls, etc) in a nest. I have kept eggs for 2 weeks and had good hatch percentage, but Never wash them and keep turning them, also keep them in a cool place(not the fridge). Good Luck with your hatch---I just now looked in my incubator---lots of babies--most of the eggs have hatched---some pipped---today is day 21.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by