Saw dust for chick pen?

I uses "dustless" pine "shavings"..........in my coop, nest boxes, and droppings board.......I add food-grade DE, and have not had
any problems with odors, flies, etc., what-so-ever. (You might want to think about using DE for any odors..........it's unbelievable!)
My "run", per se, has, what's known locally as "stone dust".....or "quarry processed".
I would imagine saw dust is going to be too "dusty".........and definitely not good for your chickens!
I'd stay away from it............for your chicken's respiratory health-sake.......
For "odors"?...........Food grade DE.

The main thing that I was wanting to do is put it in the nesting boxes. I have access to it for free so I was hoping it would be OK for nesting. I wouldn't put enough down in the pen to really be affected by dust. I just didn't know if they would eat it or not.

I agree with Gabby on this one. Unless your chickens are sleeping in the nest boxes, they wont poop in them, and they'll stay clean without needing to have the bedding replaced except to add a little from time to time. Pine Shavings or staw is best. Respiratory and eye health would be compromised with anything finer. It's not worth the convenience of having it available to you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom