saw thread on goat harness and training:anyone??

beofswiftfeet

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
timblin pa
I know: pretty off topic. Have two questions really. Pic of my buck that I banded. He is over two hundred pounds, lanky, could he be trained to pull a cart? Someone here made one-granted article was a few years back-anyone know how to do-lightweight? The other question, I am seperating the chickens from the goats. (goats like to take over anything) I know probably should not be together anyway. Ive not had any preditor attacks so want to build secure. I have cages (dog enclosures-no longer needed for dogs) that are 3 ftx4, 2x3. was thinking of standing on end removing the floor side. Placing hard wire like for rabbits entirely except for front which was floor, there would make a secure type door, then enclose everything with wood. for the run, same wire on ground buried (how deep?)same all the way around. can I attach two together-diff. breeds but seperating them by the wire and coops that are attached. One saves on space and two, have a double rabbit hutch was going to use as well. thank you all in advance oh and ignore the shelters, clean up and putting wood here as well. CIMG4979.JPG

It sounds like you can cart train your your buck, he seems a good weight to be pulling carts. I don't have any training experience, so I can't help you with that, but you can always do research. With the caging situation, I think it depends on what types of predators live in your area. My chicken run is all chicken wire and totally enclosed (one wall is a wood fence, chicken wire wraps around from the top of the fence to the ground so it has an enclosed roof.) This keeps any predatory birds from getting in. I am not really sure how deep in the ground the wall should go. But if you put some barbed wire under the ground any predators will probably give up. I hope this helps a little bit.

I hope I am doing this right. Thank you for responding, I was not sure. he is a big boy, spoiled and bored. thought it might interest him. as for preditors, just found out this afternoon that my neighbor had a bear in her rasberry bushes and there was a red fox in their yard. they live about a block from me down the hill. ah country life. but yes thankyou for the infor. if I use the barbed wire, will have to do deep enough and watch it so the chickens dont get cut on-though at fencing, know how they scratch. thank you again.
It sounds like you can cart train your your buck, he seems a good weight to be pulling carts. I don't have any training experience, so I can't help you with that, but you can always do research. With the caging situation, I think it depends on what types of predators live in your area. My chicken run is all chicken wire and totally enclosed (one wall is a wood fence, chicken wire wraps around from the top of the fence to the ground so it has an enclosed roof.) This keeps any predatory birds from getting in. I am not really sure how deep in the ground the wall should go. But if you put some barbed wire under the ground any predators will probably give up. I hope this helps a little bit.[/QU

As for predators, do you have a farm dog? Watch dog.

I have trained 4 goats for cart training... I will post tonight before I go to bed (I always have time to post long posts before bed).

Btw he is gorgeous/handsome!

Does he have a buddy? You mention him being bored, if he doesn't have a buddy teaching him to pull a cart is not going to change much, goats are here animals.

I have trained 4 goats for cart training... I will post tonight before I go to bed (I always have time to post long posts before bed).

Does he have a buddy? You mention him being bored, if he doesn't have a buddy teaching him to pull a cart is not going to change much, goats are here animals.

I hope I am doing this right. Thank you for responding, I was not sure. he is a big boy, spoiled and bored. thought it might interest him. as for preditors, just found out this afternoon that my neighbor had a bear in her rasberry bushes and there was a red fox in their yard. they live about a block from me down the hill. ah country life. but yes thankyou for the infor. if I use the barbed wire, will have to do deep enough and watch it so the chickens dont get cut on-though at fencing, know how they scratch. thank you again.

I am not really sure how to make a bear proof shelter, but I do know that they are very smart and strong. Since there are bears you may have to research on how to make a bear proof shelter.

hi and also thank you for responding. Yes there are 5 does. I did band him back in August of last year. I had loaned him out to friend who had given him to me(his mom and dad were small so thought he would be as well). oh contrar. All 4 were due about the same time. Skittles was screaming which in all her pregnancies has never done. I knew there was trouble. to make a long story short, I delivered the twins and had to do mouth to snout on one. that is the one I kept - her name is Bit O Honey. Now I know he will still have his urges. He rams the fence - wood-(puting up heavier wire with elec.) neighbors have been so kind to help and donate. I put up a tether ball which he and I do indeed play as well as Skittles and the others. fun to watch. He head butted my storm door-sliding glass and broke the outer pane. Im going to have to get Goat Fund Me this keeps up tee hee. just kidding. so thought of the cart training-extra exercise, works his mind for other things. Id put more stimulating toys but my prop is on hill so things rool down and dont want any thing breaking. I would greatly appreciate any knowledge, suggestions, literature, books on goat training -- dogs Ive trained but never goats so new territory for me. Can i build a lite type cart that would not be too much for him? what of the halter and the harnesses? Im looking at weaving him a halter well all of them as cannot find one that fits. I hope to use him to go scrounging in the woods (keeping watchful eye out)delivering some books, food stuff to others (Ive not a car) but do know should not go out for long stretches and this is after building him up to pull nor on asphalt right?? Ive dogs but not farm. Right now the chickens are with the goats so no problems with preditors. I want to move the chickens to the other side of house-no goats and at this time not able to get fencing to keep a dog in. planning on elec for dogs I have now. one is 8 year old a border collie/german shepherd mix, another is 17 years collie mix then the wee ones that are 7 years. Never have used Gideon as herd dog. may have to check into that depending on what diff. I run into with preditors. thank you again and look forward to reading your long posts.

Does he have a buddy? You mention him being bored, if he doesn't have a buddy teaching him to pull a cart is not going to change much, goats are here animals.[/Q

Back
Top Bottom