Saxony duck hatch along + PIC

katharinad

Overrun with chickens
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Southern Oregon Mountains
I have a hard hatch today. 17 eggs were set, all developed nicely, and now they are trying to pip and hatch. Half of them pipped 48 hours ago. Only one had a good zip today. Two others needed help. One had the inner membrane dried onto itself. I had to soak the poor little one in warm water just to get it off. The outer membrane is so touch in this hatch and I have the humidity up at 80% right now. A very hard hatch for sure. The three chicks were so exhausted that I had to give them vitamin with electrolytes and corn syrup just to give them more strength. This will be a long day and probably tomorrow too.
Katharina

Last edited:
oooohhhhh Good Luck with them all! Sending you wishes for easier pips and zips, softer membranes, and strong little duckies!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Sending good vibes......I hear you. We are trying to help our only call out of 15. I've never had to do it before and this is my first duck hatch....so hard to tell if I'm making the right call. I'll be thinking of your little ones, I hope they do well!

Number 4 is out, needed very little help. Number 5 is on its way, does not need help. Should be out in the next 1/2 hour. Number 3 with the stiff bend in leg seems to do well now. The vitamins with electrolytes and a little bit of corn syrup has helped a lot. It is now putting weight onto the foot and started to walk. Still very unstable compared to the others, but it will come around and should be fine by tomorrow. Don't think it will have any long term problems with the foot. I think it was bend into a bad position inside of the egg, and just need the circulation going. 12 more eggs to go.
Katharina

Last edited:
Number 8 made it out by itself. Number 9 died in the shell. It piped and started to zip and then got stuck with the membrane. I've noticed to late how long it had been in that position and it was already dead when I was going to help it. Poor little thing. Numbers 10, 11, and 12 where going the same route. Had to help them a lot and they are almost out now. No worries about them. The last 5 eggs don't look right when I candled them. They probably quit last week. So the final verdict 11 ducklings out of 17 eggs made it. I will post another picture tomorrow. This was definitely a hard hatch.
On another note, we took the two one month old ducklings for their first walk into the meadow. They had fun trying all kind of new flowers. They did not like the water hole, was to muddy for their little minds. Freaked them out, but they did gain interest when they saw our old dog take a swim in it. Once we've got back they went straight for the kiddie pool. Go figure.
Katharina

Had to keep the 3 weak ones in the incubator overnight. I did give them vitamin/electrolyte water every couple of hours. They have improved a lot. One is still on the weaker side, but I decided to put them in with the others. I did keep an eye on him because I worried about picking. They all did pick a little on the weak ones, but gave up really fast just to lay together sleeping. I'm still hand feeding all the week ones so they will catch up to the others. They seem to take it well and show more energy. Here is a picture of the 11 ducklings. I keep cat toys with them, it reduces picking and they truly love to play with them.
32562_107812559264900_100001084685575_63955_7083294_n.jpg

Katharina

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom