1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Say What?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by herfrds, Mar 10, 2011.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Went to our 4-H meeting last night and asked one of the other parents if they had heard how the benefit for this family went.
    I was told that they had heard that it raised over $15,000. Told them that sounded great.
    They then told me that after it was over with the man of the family bought several rounds for everyone at the bar. [​IMG]
    My jaw hit the floor.

I have never heard of this happening before. I am stunned that so many people stepped up and donated items for the benefit or donated money and they spend some of this money to buy the local booze hounds drinks!
    Their house and pretty much everything they owned was reduced to ashes and they take needed money and buy booze.

I'm just floored.

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I'm with you.

[​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    OMG![​IMG]

4. San

San Chillin' With My Peeps

That's why I don't like benefits or charity's not that I don't wanna help but the knowledge learnt me that most money is spend for goalless things instead for use it for the right goal.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    some people don't know how to say thanks the old fashioned way, like "USING YOUR WORDS" lol.

If he was bad with money before, he will continue to be bad with money. Handing someone 15k does not make them money smart. Maybe the opposite.

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Maybe if money was spent it didn't come from the charity fund. [​IMG]

7. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    I hope that I am never in a position to have to figure out how to say thank you for that kind of generousity.

8. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I have been involved with several benefits and this is the first one in which booze was bought afterwards.

I love helping people so that is why I was so stunned.

Had a friend end up in ICU last year and I went in and helped at the benefit for him. Both he and his wife stood up and thanked everyone who showed up to help them out. We raised around $22k for him. It all went to the bank. The lady I was helping count the money works for the bank and she took it in.

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is rough to have your gift used in a manner in which you didn't intend it to be spent. Unfortunately when you give a gift you never know for sure how it will be used. Just remember you did the right thing, and that the guy who received the gift didn't do the right thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by