Scabs in the nostril?

MairyMai

Songster
May 8, 2017
I recently got some new chickens, and they all are healthy and good layers. However, I one chicken who can't even breathe through her nose because she has infected scabs inside of it. Some of it I was able to remove carefully and successfully, however, I was wondering what the cause of this is and if i should do anything else to prevent it? Thank you so much!

Hi @MairyMai

Can you post some photos of her and the scabs?

It's very hard to know what could be causing scabs in the nostril - respiratory illness is the first thing that comes to mind. Injury or Fowl Pox could have caused lesions/sores that got infected as well. Sometimes a bird can also get food/dirt stuck in the nostrils, I suppose it could also cause infection with the right condition.

Does she have any other symptoms - coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, etc.?
Did you happen to quarantine or house your new chickens separately from your existing flock?

Does she have any other symptoms - coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, etc.?
Did you happen to quarantine or house your new chickens separately from your existing flock?

She sometimes sneezes, but I think she is just trying to rid her nose of whatever its got. I did quarantine my chickens before hand. I figured whatever she has shouldn't spread to the other chickens... Hopefully I was right. She does get along fine, shes actually top of the pecking order, and the rest of her body seems to function normally:)
I will try to get some pics soon, its a bit to dark right now though. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom