Scabs on crest -- Patient survived but now...

But I wonder if I should disallow the visits til later? Not that these birds actually allow cuddling or picking up. They're not affectionate!
It would be better to not allow visits and let the hens molt in peace, as it is quite painful for them with the incoming feathers poking through their skin. They will avoid being touched as touching would increase the pain.

Mine turn their beaks up at raw fish so I only offer cooked.

You can also make a wet mash using their regular food mixed with warm water to make a slurry the consistency of cooked oatmeal and mix the fish, cat food or meat in there to get them used to it. Mine act like the slurry is a treat even though they get it every day (most days without the added fish).

LaFleche is right. Molting is uncomfortable at best and painful at worst. I try to NEVER handle mine while molting.

It would be better to not allow visits and let the hens molt in peace, as it is quite painful for them with the incoming feathers poking through their skin. They will avoid being touched as touching would increase the pain.
Yes, that touching is clearly no fun. None of their visitors actually picks them up or succeeds in getting close, really. Some children are calm enough for the birds to come take food from their hands. The rest are mutual no-contacts, lol.

The pain has been good for me from a housing-standpoint. Every single night the birds don't go into their house voluntarily, but perch instead on top of the enclosure, outside. Until they started to molt. It's my sense they *so* don't want me to pick them up and put them inside, they'll jump down on their own and walk indoors. lol. Works for me! Poor things... they totally know what and where I want them to be. Just won't do it (yes, their safe house is too small and a new one is in the offing).

Mine turn their beaks up at raw fish so I only offer cooked.

You can also make a wet mash using their regular food mixed with warm water to make a slurry the consistency of cooked oatmeal and mix the fish, cat food or meat in there to get them used to it. Mine act like the slurry is a treat even though they get it every day (most days without the added fish).

LaFleche is right. Molting is uncomfortable at best and painful at worst. I try to NEVER handle mine while molting.
I just fed them some cooked tilapia. Scarfed it up and made lots of appreciative noises.

They get a fermented mash of the feed they pick the grains out of preferentially. They absolutely love that mush and yes, also act like it's a new delicacy every day. Though during molting that's also what they were just not so into. But they're back at it. Even when they were down on food I'd try mixing some of the worms into the mash but even there it was a no-go. But they're back at 50% enthusiasm for the worms I think.

I'll see if I can find a small can of catfood. That sounds like they'd be interested and it would be different. They seem to be not so much picky, but just appreciative of change in their diet.

I just fed them some cooked tilapia. Scarfed it up and made lots of appreciative noises.

They get a fermented mash of the feed they pick the grains out of preferentially. They absolutely love that mush and yes, also act like it's a new delicacy every day. Though during molting that's also what they were just not so into. But they're back at it. Even when they were down on food I'd try mixing some of the worms into the mash but even there it was a no-go. But they're back at 50% enthusiasm for the worms I think.

I'll see if I can find a small can of catfood. That sounds like they'd be interested and it would be different. They seem to be not so much picky, but just appreciative of change in their diet.

Most of mine feel yucky enough during molt they don't eat much. Yup molting is a bummer.

Yikes, and here I thought they actually had a pretty sucky time of it having to cough up an egg each and every single day - momma solidarity. And now I gather it gets worse?! I think being a chicken isn't all it's cracked up to be maybe?

Back
Top Bottom