Scaled quail care??

Just found out that the coturnix is actually a male, so it'll be two males and two females. Do you guys think that'll be ok?
Unless it’s two males and two females of the SAME species, I don’t really think that means anything. A coturnix may form a “friendship” with a Bobwhite or scalie but the new world quail will only really form a pair bond with another new world quail. The coturnix may try to mate with or fight the other species but since coturnix are much less suited to combat and have shorter legs will probably lose.

Unless it’s two males and two females of the SAME species, I don’t really think that means anything. A coturnix may form a “friendship” with a Bobwhite or scalie but the new world quail will only really form a pair bond with another new world quail. The coturnix may try to mate with or fight the other species but since coturnix are much less suited to combat and have shorter legs will probably lose.
So... I don't know what I'm supposed to do. They're all kept in the same aviary / run where I'm getting them from and they get along fine, but then again the scaled quails aren't mating age yet. Should I just separate the two pairs? Or should I put them together and if they start fighting separate them?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty new to quail besides coturnix quail.

sorry for another change, I misunderstood the person that I'm getting the quail from, but I think the one I said was a coturnix is actually a tennessee red bobwhite, here's a picture. The guy i'm getting them from never said whether he was a coturnix or a bobwhite and I assumed it was a coturnix, but then he said he kept his coturnix separate from his bobwhites. But this one is bonded and living with a snowflake bobwhite. He also looks like he has a shorter beak than a coturnix. Here's a picture (it's the only picture I have). Does he look like a bobwhite, or a coturnix?
8110B9E8-1813-455D-8441-74225A2EFCE3.jpeg

sorry for another change, I misunderstood the person that I'm getting the quail from, but I think the one I said was a coturnix is actually a tennessee red bobwhite, here's a picture. The guy i'm getting them from never said whether he was a coturnix or a bobwhite and I assumed it was a coturnix, but then he said he kept his coturnix separate from his bobwhites. But this one is bonded and living with a snowflake bobwhite. He also looks like he has a shorter beak than a coturnix. Here's a picture (it's the only picture I have). Does he look like a bobwhite, or a coturnix?
View attachment 2578316
It’s definitely not a Coturnix. It doesn’t look like a Tennessee red, either. I do not know my Bobwhite varieties well enough to tell you what variety it is. If you end up getting a pair of scaled and pair of Bobwhite, best to keep them separately by species. I truly can’t give advice on this situation because I have not yet tried new world quail, but from what I’ve read about them it doesn’t sound like a good idea to mix them. If you have enough space, maybe since they’re different species you’ll be able to keep a pair of scaled and a pair of bob together.

It’s definitely not a Coturnix. It doesn’t look like a Tennessee red, either. I do not know my Bobwhite varieties well enough to tell you what variety it is. If you end up getting a pair of scaled and pair of Bobwhite, best to keep them separately by species. I truly can’t give advice on this situation because I have not yet tried new world quail, but from what I’ve read about them it doesn’t sound like a good idea to mix them. If you have enough space, maybe since they’re different species you’ll be able to keep a pair of scaled and a pair of bob together.
The lighting is really off in all the pictures too, so that makes it even harder to tell what variety he is.
And ok, I'll see if I can section the aviary into two parts. Thanks for all the help!

The lighting is really off in all the pictures too, so that makes it even harder to tell what variety he is.
And ok, I'll see if I can section the aviary into two parts. Thanks for all the help!
As another note, which you probably already know, New World quail like to perch and sit in elevated platforms, unlike Coturnix. Adding some vertical space and places for them to fly to might help keep them from getting in each other’s way.

As another note, which you probably already know, New World quail like to perch and sit in elevated platforms, unlike Coturnix. Adding some vertical space and places for them to fly to might help keep them from getting in each other’s way.
Yeah, I've already started designing exactly how i'm going to put the perches in and how they're going to look. I'm going to make them out of branches from our creek and add wood platforms to them. Thanks! :)

My snowflake bobs get along with a gambel male.They have been raised together.I can keep 1 male bob with a few females without issue but 2 males in a smaller cage doesn't work.That does look like a red to me.

My snowflake bobs get along with a gambel male.They have been raised together.I can keep 1 male bob with a few females without issue but 2 males in a smaller cage doesn't work.That does look like a red to me.
thanks! I'm hoping the two quail species might get along, I'm going to try to put the together and if it doesn't work I'll separate them. And I think it looks like a Tennessee red too.

Back
Top Bottom