Scaley leg mites?

lilnuggets

Songster
Nov 30, 2017
Tucson AZ
Can anyone tell me if this is scaley leg mites? Or could it just be dry skin? Can chickens even get dry skin? Lol I have Googled images and the bad cases are obvious but this doesn't look like what mostly comes up when I image search scaley leg mites. Only 2-3 of my hens legs/feet look like this.

My leghorn doesn't like to be caught so this is the best picture I have right now.

IMG_20181128_094354043.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it could be possibly. But yes it’s not severe. I would slather the legs with vaseline or petroleum jelly.

Should I separate the few that look like and treat or just treat the entire flock? Only 2-3 look like this out of 17
Separation is not needed... but I would do everyone's legs if you have the time or energy. The ones you are seeing are just the first ones to show symptoms... as they all have individual immunity, foraging and dust bathing habits. The other may fight it off well enough and not need treatment. Your call. In studies... 90% of the parasites lived on only 10% of the chickens even among the same flock.

Yes... absolutely chickens get dry skin. And that INCLUDES the scales on their legs can actually look pretty peeling and still just be replaced by a perfectly healthy scale underneath. This should be relative to age though and more likely in much older birds... like a couple years old. And when it happens.. the old scales peel right off like they were ready.

When I took one of my chooks to the vet to check for SLM... he said there would be some keratin growth.. looking kinda like finger nails growing... While I can't see that, I do agree with others that yours might be in the early stages.. and I would treat.

I am curious though... them are some pretty white legs for a leghorn. I thought they should be more yellow. :pop

Good looking out. :thumbsup

Separation is not needed... but I would do everyone's legs if you have the time or energy. The ones you are seeing are just the first ones to show symptoms... as they all have individual immunity, foraging and dust bathing habits. The other may fight it off well enough and not need treatment. Your call. In studies... 90% of the parasites lived on only 10% of the chickens even among the same flock.

Yes... absolutely chickens get dry skin. And that INCLUDES the scales on their legs can actually look pretty peeling and still just be replaced by a perfectly healthy scale underneath. This should be relative to age though and more likely in much older birds... like a couple years old. And when it happens.. the old scales peel right off like they were ready.

When I took one of my chooks to the vet to check for SLM... he said there would be some keratin growth.. looking kinda like finger nails growing... While I can't see that, I do agree with others that yours might be in the early stages.. and I would treat.

I am curious though... them are some pretty white legs for a leghorn. I thought they should be more yellow. :pop

Good looking out. :thumbsup

Her legs used to be more yellow her and my black sex link are the only 2 left from my original small flock from last year they are about a year and 8 months old. The rest are all younger brids that I got as chicks in August and September this year. I got them all at TSC so it's very possible that they are not what they were labeled as I have already had 4 chicks grow up to be something different :confused:

Treating seems so easy... I would at least do the leghorn lady with vaseline... crisco.. castor oil or other thick choice... used to suffocate the mites if they are there. If not... no harm done, no resistance built to any drug, no egg withdrawal, no poison... just a little effort, but can be so worth it. Seems like I read you should do it two nights in a row. :)

Back
Top Bottom