scalped 2 1/2mo pullet

tryingtohaveitall

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
SW Ohio
This evening I found a pullet who is badly injured. It appears that something slip open her scalp and it's probably 4-5" long, laid open to either side. I read the article about treating wounds and cleaned it with 1/2 strength H2O2 and then sprayed it with Blue Kote. We then isolated her and gave her food & water. She is alert, wasn't roosting with the others but still is active considering her wounds. Should I try to butterfly or suture the sides together?

My DH wants to put her out of her misery, but I've read several posts here about how chickens have survived terrible wounds. I want to at least give her a day and see if she seems like she's recovering. This has been a rough week. My sweet 3 yo lab mix dog is missing (
hit.gif
) and another chicken died. I know this is part of the gig but it doesn't make it any easier.

I had a 12 wk RIR pullet that a hen pecked the top of her head/ neck, leaving an open area about the size of a quarter down to muscle and bone. I was afraid I was going to lose he,r she was so weak and lethargic.
I put her in the chickie ER cage, cleansed the wound with soap and water, applied neosporin a couple times a day, gave some extra protein (hard boiled eggs are good) treats, gave infant liquid MVI(without iron) drops daily for a few day. Within 2 days she acted like nothing was wrong. I kept her seperate from the other chicks until the wound healed over to prevent them from pecking at it.
I don't like peroxide, it is suggested that it actually can damage good tissue.
As far as trying to close the wound, it has to be no more than 8hrs old or it can not be closed. By closing it you risk possible abcess. Blu-kote is a great product for scrapes and small cuts, but I wouldn't use it on a wound that large. I prefer antibiotic ointment, it keeps the wound moist and heals faster/better, plus help prevent infection. I don't like to give oral or IM antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, but I would watch closely for any sign of infection. If you give an antibiotic, follow it with a pro-biotic or yogurt.

After we treated her last night, I found some antibiotic cream without the pain killer. If she's still alive, I'll put that on her later. Thanks for your help.

I had a hen with a terrible head injury too. It looked like the whole top of her head was missing, and there was no tissue left to bring together. After cleaning the wound the only thing I could think to do was to apply liquid bandage over the missing scalp to form a barrier, hoping granulation tissue would eventually fill in the void. To my great surprise and relief she recovered completely. I'll be thinking of you and sending prayers your way!

For those interested,

Despite her horrific injury, she seems to be doing great. We're still keeping her locked up separately at night to protect her, but she's foraging during the day and seems very happy. The other day I let her into our fenced garden with me and she seemed quite content. She'd wander around for a bit, then come near me and hang out with me. She may wind up being my favorite hen.
smile.png

Thanks for the input and prayers! (still no word on our missing dog though so any prayers for Bear's safe return are appreciated.)

Back
Top Bottom