BuffaloridaGirl

Songster
7 Years
Sep 16, 2015
Gulf Coast Central Florida
IMG_7432.JPG
IMG_7434.JPG
IMG_7436.JPG
I am on my 5th group of raising baby chicks, and last night I think a critter tried to eat a chick through the cage!!! I don't think this looks like pecking-- but I haven't ever experienced that either. This morning was when I found it like this. My dog woke me up freaking out about something but I checked on kids and told him to lay down and shut up! But didn't check chickens. I ended up trying to clean with homemade solution of (boiled to sterilize) water, baking soda &a salt. She's eating and drinking and acting normal and of course she is alone on my back porch... but she looks like DEATH?!
What to do now?
Will skin regrow??

View attachment 1117501 View attachment 1117502 View attachment 1117503 I am on my 5th group of raising baby chicks, and last night I think a critter tried to eat a chick through the cage!!! I don't think this looks like pecking-- but I haven't ever experienced that either. This morning was when I found it like this. My dog woke me up freaking out about something but I checked on kids and told him to lay down and shut up! But didn't check chickens. I ended up trying to clean with homemade solution of (boiled to sterilize) water, baking soda &a salt. She's eating and drinking and acting normal and of course she is alone on my back porch... but she looks like DEATH?!
What to do now?
Will skin regrow??
I've seen much worse wounds then that make a full recovery. So just so long as you keep her separate from the others and keep it clean it should grow back...

Thank you!!
it may grow feathers back.. it may not ..it depends on the extent of the injury .
The skin should grow back at least ..she might end up with a slight bald spot ..as some feather should cover it
Do you have blue coat to spray on it so it isnt a pecking issue with everyone else .
Also Never let them roost on a place where something can grab them .
You could cover that area with a board or something to make it more secure

Back
Top Bottom