Scalped duck injury

Our turkey just suffered a dog attack and lost some skin. Vet said use Manuka honey $32/pound!) to keep the wound moist. (Manuka honey- expensive- but does have extra antibiotic properties. Regular honey is better than nothing. She said not to cover the wounds with any dressing, just the honey.) ON the other hand, we had a young rooster with a very similar sitation to your duck. Big chickens scalped his head when it got stuck in a fence. Amazingly he recovered fully. At that time I just slathered the wound with triple antibiotic ointment daily. At first he didn't stand up, but eventually did. Your duck should be fine in the end. Just keep it away from the others until it's fully healed. (I know, what a mess!) And be vigilant about infection. Make sure he has access to water to dip his eyes and nose in always, of course. Clever helmet!
Sorry to hear about your turkey.
Ive used Manuka honey on my ferrets in the past after ops etc with great success. I do actually still have a tube of medical honey.
I’ve been using a antibacterial wound spray twice a day.
She has a bowl of water deep enough for her eyes and nostrils just not quite deep enough to cover her scalp which I didn’t want due to her dirtying the water quickly.
She’s doing well the wounds looking better now.

Drying up and scabbing up nicely. Still looks terrible but it’s healing slowly. Both eyes are normal now.
014DC032-F845-46EB-931E-7CFA5F17590D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom