Scalped Hen! Help! *Graphic Pics*

Hope your girl gets better quickly. I've never had an injury like that yet, but it's amazing how tough these birds are & how fast they recover w/ a little extra TLC. And I'd have to agree about the BR's. My 2 BR hens (who have earned the names of Helga & the Witch) are terrible toward the other girls. '
somad.gif
' They're great egg layers, but these 2 will be my last! I don't care for their attitudes!

I'll loan you a couple of my Muscovy drakes who periodically thump the chickens' hineys just for the heck of it!! The muscovys win, even against the biggest rooster!! Have you ever seen a drake's feet with those claws? Just as sharp and lethal as a roo's spur!

Sorry I am late on this post Go to a feed store and by some Wound Kote or Blue kote same thing its a purple spray on. make sure to wear gloves as it does stain for sometime. Spray the area, make sure not to get it into the eyes. and put her somewhere quiet and dark so she can rest. its the best solution I have found this happens more then one would think with newly courious Chicks free ranging trying to get there head where they dont belong.

those muscovys sound like tough cookies! Glad I don't have them around..

Got up this morning to check on Lucy and give her some Tuna and scrambled egg- expected to find her a dejected chicken lump in her box- but instead she had jumped out of her box and was scratching around the spare bedroom perky as ever looking for treats! Amazing girl, she is eating and drinking on her own and seems so much better today after only 24 hours!

I am still wondering how skin will ever grow back over her head though.. there is not even muscle left, it is literally just her skull- will the skin and feathers grow back? And if the skin grows back will she get feathers again?
Thank you for all the responses, It is wonderful having such a great support group!

My little frizzle bantam was scalped by a big Brahma roo last year, and I didn't think she would ever heal, the roo went into the freezer and with much bluekote her skin did heal back but it sure did take time, then when she molted this past fall she finally started getting her feathers back now you can't even tell anything ever happened to her.. I hope this is the same for your girl with love and patience I'm sure she'll heal up fine but might not get her feathers back till after her next molt..

My white rock had gotten her head caught in a fence, and had "scalped" herself
ep.gif

It has now healed, and you can't tell anything had ever happened, BUT she got bumblefoot, yes bumblefoot, on her head, despite my keeping it clean. So just be on the lookout for that. BTW, I pulled the bumblefoot out, and cleaned it well, antibiotics, and all is well now.

Jen

Jennh: Wow I didn't know they could get bumble foot on their heads! Poor thing.

Miss Lydia: I am so glad to hear your frizzle grew her feathers back, Lucy is only 7 months and has not molted yet, maybe by the time she molts her skin will be healed and she will get some new feathers, I really hope so.

I am building her a hutch this weekend to live in after she heals a more. I think I am going to try cleaning it with warm water tonight.

This chicken will be fine in a couple of weeks. Avoid petrolium based salves which tend to keep the injury to moist and can even interfer with healing. I suggest a spray on anti-biotic available at most feed supply stores and TSC called VETERICYN. This will keep it free from infection and won't impead the healing process. Chickens can be hard on each other!

Quote:
Chickens can get bumblefoot anywhere, not just on their feet. At least from what I've read, bumblefoot is a staph infection, and chickens encapsulate this infection, which turns hard and gets a "core". At least that's what I have read. If this is not correct, someone please correct me.
hide.gif
idunno.gif

Jen

Back
Top Bottom