Scaly face and loss of faethers on neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joana, Nov 14, 2010.

1. joana

joana New Egg

Nov 6, 2010
    Hello,

We have 5 chickens of various ages and breeds (ranging from 2 yrs to 3 months) . Our 6 month old buff orpington cross hen , has ,over the last month and a half , developed a scaly dry skin on face and now is getting a scaly neck and loosing the faethers on her neck. She is not getting pecked. Her legs look absolutely fine and her body is ,at the moment, ok too.

She behaves normally and eats well. She laid eggs at the end of August for 2-3 weeks and then stopped. Non of the other hens have any simptoms.

I have been looking in some books for siseases with the same simptoms and all I can find is Scaly leg, but she hasn't scaly legs.

Is this likely to still be a mite or other parasite given that all the other hens are ok.?

I would be very gratefull for any help with this.

Thanks
    Joana

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Good morning joana. I never dealt with this myself, but I found a thread on this site that I think will help you. It discusses scaly leg and scaly face mites, and how to treat them. Post #7 within this thread provides another link with some additional information. I hope this helps, and good luck to you and your birds!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=288494&p=1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by