Scaly leg mite!! Please help!

FeatheryFeet

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Australia
Hey there, I just joined BYC because I've been having a few problems with my silkie. I currently own 3 silkies, I've had them for about a year or more. I got one (my oldest one) as a rescue and she came with scaly leg mite. Then I got another two.

Somehow the rescue (Henrietta) got rid of her scaly leg mite but I have noticed one of my other silkies (Snowball) has gotten battened by this stuff :( she has the most beautiful kindest personality and she doesn't deserved it! Is leg mite catchy? My other silkie the sister to Snowball (Olly) doesn't have it at all. I have been scrubbing Snowballs feet in warm soapy water and soaking them in oil every week and it's doing no good.

I feel so so bad for her, her feet are almost too big and she has to take large steps or she will trip over them! :( I really need some help! I will do anything for her, even buy the most expensive treatment! And I will even go to the vets if they are going to actually do something. What do you think is best?

Also sometimes she gets picked on by Olly, especially when they are eating near each other. Olly pecks Snowballs head and she squeals kinda.

Please help my beautiful Snowball! She means so much to me! She is like my little baby!! I hate seeing her like this :(

(I think that is the photo^ sorry I'm new with this stuff)

Sorry the pic of Snowball isn't that bad at all. She is way worse now since that photo was taken a while ago. Her feet are more larger looking and that yucky stuff all over it :(

Thanks for the website.

Have you had any experience on the gasoline one? Or what one do you recommend. Thanks
smile.png
So sorry...haven't had the misfortune of having to deal with it...yet! Someone else may come along that has dealt with it and can help you further...best of luck and keep us updated!
frow.gif

Oh that's alright. Your lucky you don't have to deal with this, it's a pain in the backside! :he I might try the gasoline one as it sounds pretty fast and effective. Although some of my friends think gasoline may be a bit harsh for my girl's legs.. :cd

What do you think? I mean.. It's approved by a vet? Shouldn't be bad.

Last edited:
If it's scaly leg mites then why would you put gasoline on it when cooking oil will do the job as well if not better without being too harsh on her. The legs are already irritated and the oil will kill the mites. I prefer to put it on them every few days until they look better. I think the oil also helps the gunk soften up and come off.

If it's scaly leg mites then why would you put gasoline on it when cooking oil will do the job as well if not better without being too harsh on her. The legs are already irritated and the oil will kill the mites. I prefer to put it on them every few days until they look better. I think the oil also helps the gunk soften up and come off.

Is cooking oil just like any other oil? I have been using olive oil and it doesn't do much... :/ Have you had any luck with cooking oil?

Back
Top Bottom