Scaly Leg Mite question:

The best results I've had with scaly leg mite is with Scarlet Oil...it's actually an equine product, in an dark blue aerosol can. Very easy to apply and if you're treating more than one bird, the fact that it's tinted pink helps keep track of who you've medicated and who still needs treatment. We spray every day for a week then no treatment for a week to 10 days, then retreat for another 7 days. Works like a charm!

Hmmmm we have something similar, that could be easier and less messy than the oil, I think I will give that a go :)

yer i ve locked him up seperatly hes not going. the others are fine besides 2 but there not bad at all they hardly have it i am treating them
Make sure you treat EVERYONE, pull all bedding & treat inside of coop & run (this is where Sevin Dust comes in very handy)

It was just the legs, not the whole bird! He just stayed still, and it was a lot less messy than using vaseline given that this was a feather leg. Easy to get up under the leg scales. Vaseline made a big mess and I won't use Sevin because I have honeybees.

Lol, I know but it just sounded funny to me. When I used the vaseline, my roo didn't have feather legs. Though he did grow some later. He was in really bad shape. I really thought he was a young leghorn (because all I could see were a few white feathers and I was new so I didn't know that a crowing rooster was almost full grown sized). He turned out to be a white banty cochin. He had leg mites, skin mites, nasty things on his comb and wattles. Practically no feathers and was almost a picked clean chicken (when you have roast chicken and have picked all the meat off, that was what he looked like) he was so skinny. He was wormy as well. I learned so much about healing birds with him. He had pretty much everything wrong you could get. (not ascites or anything serious but lots of little things)

As far as not using sevin because of honeybees. I am thinking about getting a hive in a couple of years. What do you use instead of sevin dust?

Question for you. We have a little over a dozen birds and I noticed that to birds have what look like scaly leg mites. There are chicks that will be hatching in the coop next week. Can A I still treat with seven dust? Will it harm the chicks ? I usually mix it in with th hay in the coop as well as the roosts etc.
Your thoughts?

how much seven dust do you use and is it safe if they eat it? I also have some babies with my flock.....4 babies that are only 4 weeks old...will the seven hurt THEM if they ingest it? Their Mama has taught them to scratch in the dirt for bugs. Also, I use a capful of apple cider vinager to a gallon of drinking water. I have heard that is a natural mite killer? True?

Back
Top Bottom