Scaly leg mites

CrazyChickenLady03

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2024
Hi I have three hens that have scaly legmites I have been washing your legs with warm soapy water then I have been doing a permethrin dip for 10 minutes and then after that I have been drying their legs off and applying Vaseline my question is how often should I be using the permethrin dip and how long should I continue treatment and when should I see results TIA

Hi I have three hens that have scaly legmites I have been washing your legs with warm soapy water then I have been doing a permethrin dip for 10 minutes and then after that I have been drying their legs off and applying Vaseline my question is how often should I be using the permethrin dip and how long should I continue treatment and when should I see results TIA
I've dealt with them on my silkies 3 times in 7 years. The first two times I mixed A&D Diaper rash ointment into Vaseline, went in at night, slathered their legs and feet, then did that every other night for a total of 3 times, and that worked.

This last time, two months ago, I had double the silkies so I wasn't about to slather 28 feathered feet. I bought Ivermectin 5% pour on, and used one dropper's drop on the skin of their back, again, at night. I repeated that in 10 days. I'm seeing drastic improvement but it takes a long time to heal. I do not know about the permethrin though, but would assume it would be similar, repeat in 10 days.

I've dealt with them on my silkies 3 times in 7 years. The first two times I mixed A&D Diaper rash ointment into Vaseline, went in at night, slathered their legs and feet, then did that every other night for a total of 3 times, and that worked.

This last time, two months ago, I had double the silkies so I wasn't about to slather 28 feathered feet. I bought Ivermectin 5% pour on, and used one dropper's drop on the skin of their back, again, at night. I repeated that in 10 days. I'm seeing drastic improvement but it takes a long time to heal. I do not know about the permethrin though, but would assume it would be similar, repeat in 10 days.

could I use desitin instead of A&D

Back
Top Bottom