Scaly leg mite?

We have a small elevated coop.
View attachment 2378146
We are new to chickens as of May, so we don’t have other options for them right now. Is there anything I should spray in the coop?

This coop might be quit small. But another coop is not the solution. Cleaning it might help to avoid new infestations. A sand bath area underneath the coop would be great too.

This coop might be quit small. But another coop is not the solution. Cleaning it might help to avoid new infestations. A sand bath area underneath the coop would be great too.
Yes I have been meaning to get the a sand bath area geared up. They sometimes dust bath in the dirt under the coop but I need to get a better mixture for them.

Dust bathes are key to helping the chickens control external parasites - as many of these parasites can come from wild birds, not just from bringing new chickens into the flock. The challenge is keeping a good dust bath going outside the coop in a Nova Scotian winter 😊

Dust bathes are key to helping the chickens control external parasites - as many of these parasites can come from wild birds, not just from bringing new chickens into the flock. The challenge is keeping a good dust bath going outside the coop in a Nova Scotian winter 😊
Right?! This is what I have been thinking about lately! I’m going to try making it in a rubber maid bin I can put the lid on each night. But I imagine it would still freeze?
I had a dust bath area for them and I took it out several weeks ago intending on putting in a different one but that never happened yet. This weekend!

Right?! This is what I have been thinking about lately! I’m going to try making it in a rubber maid bin I can put the lid on each night. But I imagine it would still freeze?
I had a dust bath area for them and I took it out several weeks ago intending on putting in a different one but that never happened yet. This weekend!

I just use a large old fish crate with peat moss and wood stove ashes - it’s stored in the space under the coop at night to protect it from the worst of the moisture, but it does still freeze and have to be broken up occasionally. Usually the sun and chickens can do a fine job of this! We’re building a new coop as chicken math got the better of me this year - so I’m brainstorming creative ways to make a larger dust-bathing area.

I just use a large old fish crate with peat moss and wood stove ashes - it’s stored in the space under the coop at night to protect it from the worst of the moisture, but it does still freeze and have to be broken up occasionally. Usually the sun and chickens can do a fine job of this! We’re building a new coop as chicken math got the better of me this year - so I’m brainstorming creative ways to make a larger dust-bathing area.
Would love to see a pic when you get it worked out! We are moving next year and even though our coop is only a few months old I have already requested a shed coop from my husband. So I’ll be storing ideas for dust bath areas as other way to entertain them in their future bigger run!

I prefer to give them a nice bath in warm water, then slather them (their FEET and LEGS) with cooking oil. I opt for sunflower oil as it's easy to obtain, inexpensive, and absorbs quickly; it has the added benefit of moisturizing their skin, making it healthier as well. If combined with a massage as you do this, you may have many a feathered friend indeed!
Edited to make it clear that I only meant to apply the oil to the feet and legs, not the entire bird! I save that for when I've invited them for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom