Scaly leg mite?

I prefer to give them a nice bath in warm water, then slather them with cooking oil. I opt for sunflower oil as it's easy to obtain, inexpensive, and absorbs quickly; it has the added benefit of moisturizing their skin, making it healthier as well. If combined with a massage as you do this, you may have many a feathered friend indeed!
I’ve been slathering them with Vaseline, the girls do not appreciate it but the rooster is enjoying every minute of it. I even filed his toe nails this week and he stood there for it no problem. He’s a diva lol

Would love to see a pic when you get it worked out! We are moving next year and even though our coop is only a few months old I have already requested a shed coop from my husband. So I’ll be storing ideas for dust bath areas as other way to entertain them in their future bigger run!

Will do! I have a 8x16 baby barn for the base of my coop (so I can have a section of it to store food/supplies and brood chicks outside the house) and we’re starting run construction today. I wanted the chickens to have lots of space and I’m planning to raising a few birds from two additional breeds next year to add to the flock. I’ve seen a few good ideas for dust bath areas, but will have to see which of them work practically and in Nova Scotia!

Will do! I have a 8x16 baby barn for the base of my coop (so I can have a section of it to store food/supplies and brood chicks outside the house) and we’re starting run construction today. I wanted the chickens to have lots of space and I’m planning to raising a few birds from two additional breeds next year to add to the flock. I’ve seen a few good ideas for dust bath areas, but will have to see which of them work practically and in Nova Scotia!
So nice! Where in NS are you? We are in Chester Basin. We have a smaller 4x6 coop now. Hopefully after the move I’ll be able to get my 12x16 coop - can’t wait to have storage right there with the birds! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

So nice! Where in NS are you? We are in Chester Basin. We have a smaller 4x6 coop now. Hopefully after the move I’ll be able to get my 12x16 coop - can’t wait to have storage right there with the birds! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I’m based up in Grand Etang (just south of Cheticamp, Cape Breton), but I spend a considerable portion of the winters in Halifax as I’m 3/4 of the way through a PhD at Dalhousie. Of course, since the pandemic and working from home started, I’ve been mainly up with my chooks enjoying the beautiful outdoors (my preference to the city). Originally from southwestern British Columbia where cold weather is much less of a concern for chickens!

I’ll let you know how the coop building goes! It sounds like we’re aiming for a similar vision with the coops :)

Back
Top Bottom