Scaly leg mite

Poultry mum

Crowing
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
Hey guys just wondering what the quickest way of getting a chickens legs back to normal would be when they have had scaly leg mite…
I’ve got a show in about 3 weeks and need my japs legs back to perfect condition…

Some folks dip their legs in gasoline to kill the mites quickly. I've used Ivermectin topically. For the scales, you can *try* soaking and verrrry gently using a soft toothbrush to scrub out any much under lifted scales.

But as @DobieLover says, not going to fix legs completely in that short of time.

Some folks dip their legs in gasoline to kill the mites quickly. I've used Ivermectin topically. For the scales, you can *try* soaking and verrrry gently using a soft toothbrush to scrub out any much under lifted scales.

But as @DobieLover says, not going to fix legs completely in that short of time.
The mites them selfs have been treated and no longer exist.. it’s the scales that they have left behind.. I’m currently using olive oil and rubbing the legs with that… it’s lifting all the dead skin and working a treat just not fast enough for my liking lol… thanks anyway guys

Its rained here everyday for 4 weeks & supposed to rain for 2 more . I can't spray Permethrin while its wet. The run is a muddy mess.
Same here gotta love nsw lol… the olive oil is a good thing.. or get some of that spray on oil (it’s like $4 from coles or woolies) and just lightly coat the perches and around the walls inside and let it air out before bed time… because it’s oil it won’t wash away so easily… and rub their legs with it every 2nd day I use both a firm toothbrush and a pair of pointed tweezers to get right under the scales and rid them of the mites

I wish I had taken before and after photos

The mites them selfs have been treated and no longer exist.. it’s the scales that they have left behind.. I’m currently using olive oil and rubbing the legs with that… it’s lifting all the dead skin and working a treat just not fast enough for my liking lol… thanks anyway guys
How did you get it out of your coop?

Back
Top Bottom