Scaly leg mite

Same here gotta love nsw lol… the olive oil is a good thing.. or get some of that spray on oil (it’s like $4 from coles or woolies) and just lightly coat the perches and around the walls inside and let it air out before bed time… because it’s oil it won’t wash away so easily… and rub their legs with it every 2nd day I use both a firm toothbrush and a pair of pointed tweezers to get right under the scales and rid them of the mites

I wish I had taken before and after photos
I plan on making a new coop ( I'm gathering supplies) If all goes as planned I'm letting my old coop sit empty 9 months before I put anymore chickens in it.

Last edited:
Just an update guys… 2 weeks ago was the show and I managed to get 3 of the 4 girls that had SLM into the show… of the 3 1 got a 2nd place to my girl that got 1st (she was my original jap so had no SLM) thanks all for your help… this is the remedy I used…
1) 1 treatment of scaly mite oil (purchased from pet store or produce store) leave for the week…
2) 1 week of using veg oil on legs every day… removing dead skin as you go.
3) 1 week of every 2-3 days veg oil remove dead skin on “off” days.
4) coconut oil once - twice a week until clear… giving legs (or whole chicken) a bath in between at some point to clean up and remove extra oils and dead skin…

Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom