Scaly leg mites & DE

Thank you I don’t have pics, but he has lifted scales. I choose to do soaking & petroleum jelly. The article very helpful step by step. I am about to begin right now, so I’ll let you know how it goes. He’s a big boy! Appreciate help.
Can I get the mites? My granddaughter wants to help and I really don’t want her to get. I started his first treatment yesterday.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried boric acid for mites. It basically breaks down the exoskeleton of arthropods (insects, mites, spiders, etc.) upon contact, and is harmless to mammals, provided the acidity is not strong enough to cause an acid burn. It is sometimes used for antibacterial purposes in eye drops (in the proper concentrations), and some folk use it for a soothing foot bath.

I have used boric acid to kill ants and silverfish. They cannot become immune to it, so, provided they are in direct contact with it in some way, it will be effective. I mixed the powder with sugar water to feed the ants, and dipped paper in it, then dried it, for the silverfish. Cockroaches might be equally affected.

I've considered putting some boric acid into the sand where the chickens take their dust baths, but worried about them getting some into their eyes--and it can be strong enough that one would not wish to do that!

Has anyone actually tried this for mites, lice, etc.?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried boric acid for mites. It basically breaks down the exoskeleton of arthropods (insects, mites, spiders, etc.) upon contact, and is harmless to mammals, provided the acidity is not strong enough to cause an acid burn. It is sometimes used for antibacterial purposes in eye drops (in the proper concentrations), and some folk use it for a soothing foot bath.

I have used boric acid to kill ants and silverfish. They cannot become immune to it, so, provided they are in direct contact with it in some way, it will be effective. I mixed the powder with sugar water to feed the ants, and dipped paper in it, then dried it, for the silverfish. Cockroaches might be equally affected.

I've considered putting some boric acid into the sand where the chickens take their dust baths, but worried about them getting some into their eyes--and it can be strong enough that one would not wish to do that!

Has anyone actually tried this for mites, lice, etc.?
Edit; Why risk these birds getting it on their face when they dust bath?

Last edited:
Can I get the mites? My granddaughter wants to help and I really don’t want her to get. I started his first treatment yesterday.
They cant live on you, you can't "get" them but they bite .Have I been bitten ?They can be spread to other birds and flocks easily.I wouldn't let her help if she has birds.They can be carried home with her on her clothes and shoes.

It would have to soak through the skin. Perhaps applying something like MSM (methylsulfonylmethane)/DMSO after applying the boric acid could chase it through the skin.
I would recommend sticking with a proven treatment rather than experiment with something unproven. I want something tried & true, no maybes or this or that sorry!

They cant live on you, you can't "get" them but they bite .Have I been bitten ?They can be spread to other birds and flocks easily.I wouldn't let her help if she has birds.They can be carried home with her on her clothes and shoes.
I throw my clothes straight in washer if I have been treating rooster. Sounds like my ducks can get mites also yikes.

Back
Top Bottom