Scaly Leg Mites?! Feathers falling out?! please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OldEnglishGameBantam33, Oct 18, 2018.

1. OldEnglishGameBantam33

OldEnglishGameBantam33 Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    San deigo CA
    Last week I notice that my Buff Orpington Hen Popcorn had lost more feathers than the rest of my flock. I just noticed it and moved on assuming it was just the effects of molting season. however, today I saw that her whole back and butt was bare. no tail feathers left. It could just be over molting, (if that's possible). But she is missing a lot of feathers.:(
    Another thing I noticed was her toe scales were raised so this set me off a bit I am suspecting scaly leg mites but I am not sure. (the middle toe is not captured well in the picture but, it is raised a lot)
    I have attached some photos. Tell me what you think! thanks!:jumpy IMG_6040.jpg IMG_6036.jpg IMG_6038.jpg IMG_6037.jpg IMG_6040.jpg IMG_6036.jpg IMG_6038.jpg IMG_6037.jpg IMG_6040.jpg

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

Yes, she does have scaly leg mites.
    Applying some type of oil, vaseline or bag balm to her legs for a week or so will smother and kill the mites.

3. OldEnglishGameBantam33

Oct 15, 2018
    San deigo CA
    thankyou!:ya
    Do you know why she is losing a lot of feathers?:hmm Is it customary for leg mites?

KikisGirls and puffypoo22 like this.
  4. Adam368741

Adam368741 In the Brooder

Oct 5, 2018
    it's a pain but vasoline for 7-14 days will work I used to use gas in severe cases so it would kill them faster gas dip and then dry and apply A+D after and for a couple of days. In extreme cases you may have to dip twice. It looks like leg mites how the scales are raised and the feather loss could be from stress.

5. puffypoo

puffypoo Free Ranging

Oct 3, 2015
    Western Massachussetts
    I think leg mites are just for the legs. There are other parasites that cause feather loss like that. Can you check and see if you can find eggs in the feather shafts or little bugs?

KikisGirls likes this.
  6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

Usually when they lose feathers it means they are molting.
    Are you in the US?

puffypoo22 likes this.
  7. OldEnglishGameBantam33

Oct 15, 2018
    San deigo CA
    yes, but it seems like she is molting more than the others. Her whole back and butt is bare

8. Adam368741

Adam368741 In the Brooder

Oct 5, 2018
    Go to the local feed store and ask them where there sevin dust is hold your bird upside down and dust it under its feathers it'll kill any bugs

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Crowing

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Photos of her feather loss would also be helpful. It may be moulting or it may be mating damage if you have any males in the flock, especially adolescent ones or it may be feather picking either due to parasites or boredom/bullying. Some birds just lose a small number of feathers at a time and others have a hard moult and look half bald almost overnight. You should see pin feathers coming in if it is moulting.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: