Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Hi Beekissed, thought you must be from that direction. Oh I'd love to stay on a farm butmy husband sold his before we met, grrrrrr. Well now I am having a small little farm like surrounding in the middle of town and I have the sea close by for fishing.
Tell me this castor oil is rather sticky. How would you get that out of you hair again or do you dilute it. Well the chicks are certainly going to have some when the next bath is on the menu and than we'll see how if works. The cooking oil makes their feet very slippery and then they almost fall off thier broom stick on which they sleep. Shame we had a good laugh but I guess they did not.
Whenever you feel like some differnt air around your nose come and visit.

Hello Beekissed,

well I too think that my cocks feet look much better since I bath him once a week and dip him into cooking oil, but I will go and get some castor oil and continue on that. The bigger of the 2 hens does not really get along as well as the cock but she has no option than to be bathed as well once a week. I will continue this until all the old scales are gone and than just continue dipping until they are fully healed. What is so cute to me is that my cock always falls asleep in my husbands hands while I wash and bruch his legs. He really enjoys this whilehis white lady is a little anxious. His brown lady always behaves like she is due to be murdered but she will just have to get used to this though she is only dipped for prevention. She only has one little spot which I don't want to spread so she can not be left ut. Thanks for the pics. Tell me where exactly are you in the big world. Talking of inches you should be sonewhere in the US.
By the way we are not living on a farm we are living in town but when it comes to our pets you might consider the thought of a farm.
Have a lovley day
"too funny"

Hi Beekissed, thought you must be from that direction. Oh I'd love to stay on a farm butmy husband sold his before we met, grrrrrr. Well now I am having a small little farm like surrounding in the middle of town and I have the sea close by for fishing.
Tell me this castor oil is rather sticky. How would you get that out of you hair again or do you dilute it. Well the chicks are certainly going to have some when the next bath is on the menu and than we'll see how if works. The cooking oil makes their feet very slippery and then they almost fall off thier broom stick on which they sleep. Shame we had a good laugh but I guess they did not.
Whenever you feel like some differnt air around your nose come and visit.

lol.png
The air here is fresh and sweet and sometimes it's like breathing diamonds, it's that good. Right now it is heavy with honeysuckle and spring! But I bet you get the salty sea air and I like that just fine too...love the ocean!
love.gif

The ones that use it on their hair mix it with other oils and heat it up and leave it on while under a drier. Then they wash it out. I've used it straight up by itself without the heating and it's sticky..but it does wash out. Left my hair ultra soft.

That stickiness is what makes it so effective for mites, I imagine, because I used it on my birds 3 mo. ago and they still look supple and softly golden on their legs, which is saying a lot because these birds are very old. I'll try to get a good pic of the Toby's legs today if I can to show how much difference there is even from the ones I posted. His spur growth is obvious because it's different color, even. I'm mightily impressed with the castor oil.

Well that sounds tempting. Maybe we can get to that part of the world one day. At this stage Australia is our next destination, so we are scratching every cent asside.
Thanks for the tip with the castor oil. I have long hair so I think I am up to a surprise, hihi but my hair is so dry I will try it.
Regarding my chicks feet they are in for the next bath today and I'll dip them in castor afterwards. I just need to get their feet back to normal because I can immagine it hurts them so I am into washing their feet twice a week now to get the old scales off and make the tissue heal.
Breath some diamonds for me as well ok

I think one of my girls has a mild case of it too. I soaked her legs and feet in warm water with Dawn dish soap, and rubbed VetRx on it. Bottle says it cures scaly leg. I did let her back outside, so don't know if that is a good idea or not. I see some used a dog shampoo for fleas, so I might get some of that and try it too, retreat and keep her in the house for a couple days.

Reading all the help for scaly leg, and the options to use. When using any of the oils, or Vaseline should you keep the bird in a crate during treatment? I just imagine all the dirt sticking to the oil or Vaseline. I also read that some people soak their legs/feet with a good dog/cat flea shampoo first. What about Vicks? Doesn't it have camphor or menthol in it? Wonder if that would be soothing too.

I have used Vicks with great success . It does get a bit messy, but believe it or not, the dirt sticking to the legs only enhances the ' smotherforcation' . I know , no such word! We found that in the spring when our horses wear gumboots, lol ,the mud in the pens means no scaley leg mites.

Hi Mimischicks, As you can see from my conversation with Beekissed I wash my chicks feet twice a week at this stage, their mites are really bad due to wrong treatment. I use an old toothbrush to bruch the feet and than use castor oil. Ok it makes their feet slippery because I treta them before they go to sleep to let the oil soak into the scales well before they scramble around in the sand but I also beleive that if something sticks ontop of the oil, whichever you use, it will just form a protective coat. I would not use enything with camphor because depending on the degree of mites it might hurt or burnn in the open spots. Castor oil, I must say I like the consitency of it is easy to spread and the quicken seem to like the feeling as well. It stys on well not like cooking oil where the oil drips off too fast

Thank you for the mark on my post. It is due to you guys that I seem to be able to get my chicks feet back to normal. Can it be that a hen has a grey skin on her feet instead of this orangy skin. I thought my hens feet got worse until I discovered she has not a bit of orangy sken only grey. Have a great weekend guys
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom