scaly leg mites...please help

If you do the petroleum jelly every night for about 3 days, the old lifted up scales fall off. I had to do this with my roo and be consistent with it...3 days to get them all off. They did fall of by them selves.

One of my silkies came down with the scaly leg mites. i isolated her for about two weeks in our house. Gave her legs a bath every day in warm water with just a drop or two of flea and tick shampoo with pyrethrin. Then sprayed them down with a mite and lice spray for birds i bought at Petco (it also contains pyrethrins at .03%). Then i applied the vasoline. i also administered Ivermectin 0.8% drops i purchased on ebay that is specifically for small animals and birds. Did this once a week for three weeks.

Along with this she got chopped hard boiled eggs, yogurt, meal worms, and special parrot hand-feeding formula, as she was molting also and looked terrible.

It all seemed to work and she's doing fine now. It was a lot of effort, but i think she really came to enjoy the warms baths.

My roo had leftover big scaley gunk on his feet from having mites in his past (before I adopted him). I put campho phenique on it first to heal the open wound parts and then baby oil. They were magically healed and normal looking in about 1 week. It was the most amazing thing as I didn't expect that quick of a healing process but they have stayed normal ever since. I did campho twice and then baby oil for about 6 days at night.

Please don't use WD-40. It's not meant to be used on human skin or animal skin. It's very toxic.

The 'pimple' on the top of the foot sounds like bumblefoot. Do a search and instructions are there to get rid of it.

actually wd40 is good for all kinds of things, try looking online. Thanks for all the advise everyone! Could the sore be an infected feather since he is feather footed?

Back
Top Bottom