Scaly leg mites??

Can you post pictures? Type 'scaly leg mites' in the search bar at the top of the page, and multiple threads containing pictures will appear.

Can you post pictures?  Type 'scaly leg mites' in the search bar at the top of the page, and multiple threads containing pictures will appear.

I've owned Light Brahmas and sometimes it's difficult to tell if it's scaly leg mites due to the feathers on their legs, especially when they get older. I've always gone ahead and treated the legs anyway. Soak her feet in warm epsom salt water to loosen and soften up the scales for about 20 minutes. Then use a soft toothbrush to gently scrub and release debris from between the scales, get around the feathers as best as you can but never scrub hard. Then dry her feet/legs. You can apply any type of oil to her feet and legs to smother the mites; some folks use vaseline, vegetable oil, burnt motor oil, kerosene, caster oil, olive oil etc...it's your choice. You'll have to treat the roosts also, keep that in mind. Continue treating the legs until healed, scales may or may not lay flat due to the feathers.
I've used Nu Stock which works really well.

I've owned Light Brahmas and sometimes it's difficult to tell if it's scaly leg mites due to the feathers on their legs, especially when they get older. I've always gone ahead and treated the legs anyway. Soak her feet in warm epsom salt water to loosen and soften up the scales for about 20 minutes. Then use a soft toothbrush to gently scrub and release debris from between the scales, get around the feathers as best as you can but never scrub hard. Then dry her feet/legs. You can apply any type of oil to her feet and legs to smother the mites; some folks use vaseline, vegetable oil, burnt motor oil, kerosene, caster oil, olive oil etc...it's your choice. You'll have to treat the roosts also, keep that in mind. Continue treating the legs until healed, scales may or may not lay flat due to the feathers.
I've used Nu Stock which works really well.
I've noticed when I treated my Brahma she immediately pecked at the oil and had it all over her beak so maybe you wouldn't want to use motor oil or kerosene. For sure they are going to ingest it. If any oil works it makes sense to use one that isn't toxic.

I've noticed when I treated my Brahma she immediately pecked at the oil and had it all over her beak so maybe you wouldn't want to use motor oil or kerosene. For sure they are going to ingest it.  If any oil works it makes sense to use one that isn't toxic.
I used Vaseline on mine about 1 week ago. It shouldn't be too toxic if not at all.

Back
Top Bottom