emmagat

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hi! I made an account here a while ago, but this is one of my first posts. Well, I've had chickens for a long time, and I've had an infestation (if you will) with scaly leg mites on my ladies (the mites started a couple months ago). I've researched multiple treatments online, and multiple websites have suggested vaseline, ivermectin, and even gasoline as treatment options. I started the vaseline when the mites first appeared on my hens, and I started by applying it once every 3 days, but it does not seem like anything is working with that method. So, I was wondering if anyone else has any treatment methods for scaly leg mites that have worked for them in the past. Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm all ears for suggestions, thanks in advance for your help!!

This is what I have in my notes (grabbing info off BYC) but have no experience :fl with the issue ...

Scaly Legs - Soak in warm water & mild dish soap. With toothbrush scrub with vinegar, garlic or Neem Oil. Smear leg with Coconut Oil. Clean out coop; remove shavings; spray Orange Insect Spray or DE, spread lavender, lemon grass, thyme, wormwood in shavings,

dawg53 - Nu Stock
aart - Vaseline or Bag Balm 1x wk for 2 - 3wks

Hi! I made an account here a while ago, but this is one of my first posts. Well, I've had chickens for a long time, and I've had an infestation (if you will) with scaly leg mites on my ladies (the mites started a couple months ago). I've researched multiple treatments online, and multiple websites have suggested vaseline, ivermectin, and even gasoline as treatment options. I started the vaseline when the mites first appeared on my hens, and I started by applying it once every 3 days, but it does not seem like anything is working with that method. So, I was wondering if anyone else has any treatment methods for scaly leg mites that have worked for them in the past. Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm all ears for suggestions, thanks in advance for your help!!
I don't have experience with them either, but most likely I would use Vaseline for 3-4 weeks and do a really thorough cleaning of everything and spray the inside of the coop with Elector PSP, that's what I would do so they don't keep getting them back.

Some have mixed Ivermectin with Vaseline, applied that to the legs, and claimed good results. How long have you been treating them ? Established infestations take time to resolve.
I've been treating them for about 6 or 7 weeks with the vaseline now but unfortunately the problem only seems to have gotten worse

This is what I have in my notes (grabbing info off BYC) but have no experience :fl with the issue ...

Scaly Legs - Soak in warm water & mild dish soap. With toothbrush scrub with vinegar, garlic or Neem Oil. Smear leg with Coconut Oil. Clean out coop; remove shavings; spray Orange Insect Spray or DE, spread lavender, lemon grass, thyme, wormwood in shavings,

dawg53 - Nu Stock
aart - Vaseline or Bag Balm 1x wk for 2 - 3wks
Oooh I really like that option because it's all natural and doesn't seem like it would harm the hens. I feel like I would't have to throw away their eggs either!

I started the vaseline when the mites first appeared on my hens, and I started by applying it once every 3 days, but it does not seem like anything is working with that method.

Hi

Just wanted to clarify that you are not seeing the mites themselves, just the raised scales they cause? If you are seeing the mites themselves, then either you have microscopic vision or you have misidentified them..... scaley leg mites are microscopic.
If we really are talking scaley leg mites, I find Vick's Vapour Rub works vry well. I just slather it on every few days when she goes in to roost and the scales become supple and drop off and new ones come in and the hen looks so much more comfortable. I have never tried to eliminate them from the coop as they will eventually return. Some birds are just more prone to them than others and need regular treatment maybe every few months to keep them comfortable.

Hi

Just wanted to clarify that you are not seeing the mites themselves, just the raised scales they cause? If you are seeing the mites themselves, then either you have microscopic vision or you have misidentified them..... scaley leg mites are microscopic.
If we really are talking scaley leg mites, I find Vick's Vapour Rub works vry well. I just slather it on every few days when she goes in to roost and the scales become supple and drop off and new ones come in and the hen looks so much more comfortable. I have never tried to eliminate them from the coop as they will eventually return. Some birds are just more prone to them than others and need regular treatment maybe every few months to keep them comfortable.
Oh no lol I'm seeing the raised scales and the gunk that the mites produce (not sure if the gunk is eggs, poop or debris).

All of the things mentioned will work. I use castor oil, applied with a soft toothbrush to work it under the scales, after soaking and gentle cleaning the first time to remove as much of the gunk as possible. I apply every couple of days for the first week, then a couple times a week there after. Whatever you use needs to make contact with the mites in order to suffocate them. If there is a lot of gunk, it can take longer. The treatments will gradually soften and remove the gunk and allow the oil, or whatever product you use, to get in there. Time to recover can vary greatly. I just keep treating until the scales start looking normal again.

I have no personal experience, but ran across the following on another forum and saved it for a friend:

Ivermectin pour-on rubbed onto the legs. Wear gloves! For standard birds use 0.75 ml per bird. 25 ml on each leg and 25 ml on the bird. (I think she puts it on the skin under the wings). Use the Ivomec on day 1 and day 10, but rub some kind of oil/vaseline into the legs daily. It makes for a dirty bird, but helps.

This person said that she tried everything under the sun, and the only thing that helped was using the Ivermectin. Not very organic, I know.

Obviously, it would be wise to clean out the coop and to treat the roost as well (rubbing oil into it).

Back
Top Bottom