Scaly leg mites

Would love to have some opinions about what i need to do for him now!

One thing we have learned from this is... if hubby comes towards him... he cackles and keeps moving just out of arms reach... hahaha. Cause daddy gets him and brings him to me to do treatments. Hahaha
But the weird thing is... he seems to want to be with me more.. even tho i am the one being mean! Hahaha. I have a small table i cover to work on him. At a height my OLD bones can sit and not have to lean over the entire time..
He has done this so much now since the 10th of october that he knows the routine.. but he no longer wants to stand on the table to get dried or medicated... hahaha within a few minutes he steps over in my lap.. snuggles in sorta under arm between breast and arm.. hahaha. I have to pull 1 leg at a time forward to dry it... he doesnt fight me at all to do it... but he prefers to just squat cozy against me!! Hahaha. Now after all this one on one time... we are even more attached to him.. sure hope he is going to heal and his feet dont rot off .. 8``(

You are not dealing with scaly leg mites. This appears to be a very stubborn staph infection, perhaps triggered by a minor injury at the beginning of this month. Staph germs are present everywhere and are constantly looking for a break in the outer layer of the epidermis to enter. Once a staph infection takes hold, it can be a real battle getting rid of it. It's my belief that your snuggle boy needs a little assistance from an antibiotic that is equipped to deal with stubborn staph bacteria. Order this. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/cephalexin-capsules/PX101139/ Pop one capsule into his beak each day for ten days. If the redness continues beyond that, continue for another seven days.

I have a rooster with a similar issue. I've been treating him for a leg laceration, and it's improved, but some scales are still red and swollen. It's been two months. The bacteria appears to interfere with the development of the outer hard layer of the scales. I've concluded this is preventing complete healing. My rooster has been on the ceph for just three days, so it's too soon to tell how well it's working. We can compare notes as our boys legs heal.

You are not dealing with scaly leg mites. This appears to be a very stubborn staph infection, perhaps triggered by a minor injury at the beginning of this month. Staph germs are present everywhere and are constantly looking for a break in the outer layer of the epidermis to enter. Once a staph infection takes hold, it can be a real battle getting rid of it. It's my belief that your snuggle boy needs a little assistance from an antibiotic that is equipped to deal with stubborn staph bacteria. Order this. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/cephalexin-capsules/PX101139/ Pop one capsule into his beak each day for ten days. If the redness continues beyond that, continue for another seven days.

I have a rooster with a similar issue. I've been treating him for a leg laceration, and it's improved, but some scales are still red and swollen. It's been two months. The bacteria appears to interfere with the development of the outer hard layer of the scales. I've concluded this is preventing complete healing. My rooster has been on the ceph for just three days, so it's too soon to tell how well it's working. We can compare notes as our boys legs heal.
Thank you.. we still are not sure how he was injured? Feet and up the outside of each leg. Our grandson told us last sunday something we didnt know? That when he came by with his friend the late afternoon of the 9th .. that he was petting our boy
And When his friend walked our roo attacked him... jumped at him with both feet... it didnt hurt because he had on jeans but the boys thought it was funny.. so his friend kept sticking his leg out and roo would jump at it and the boy would pull his leg up straight in front of him and when he would start to lower his leg roo would jump at it again. They thought it was funny and were just playing... our grandson picked him up and told his friend to go on up to the deck and he put him down. They didnt leave til almost dark and all the chix had already gone to the coop. Everyone was on roosts and seemed fine when i clised them up. Next morning when i let them out is when i noticed blood on his foot and then saw all the broken quills and the strip up the sides of both legs had the scales gone. Grandson swears they didnt hurt him..but i believe their FUN seriously injured my boy! I
Was Heart broken when i heard this story. Immediately i put neosporin on him. That evening i soaked in epsom salt and began then with triplebiotic. Then i reached out for help here. I have followed everything you gave me to do. Dont understand howw he got staph with keeping antibitic on it? A plus was just the week before we had removed every bit of flooring in coop and put down sand and on top wood shavings. Have a table top roosts so all night time is picked up daily. This will sound funny.. as in weird ... but when it is dry the dirt in the run is packed with a kittle dust on top.. and we use an old push broom to sweep it and hubby made vig screen in a frame and we pick up what we sweep with a dust pan and sift it thru the screen. Any dirt stays and droppings go! Since roo legs were hurt we have done this almost daily.. or every other day except 1 day it was damp. This part of the run is covered and mostly stays dry unless it is a blowing rain. And because of his legs we havent let them in the open part of the run because it is harder to keep clean... as clean as we can keep the pen attached to coop. Just wanted you to know we have really worked at keeping his are as clean as one can where chix live! Hahaha
Will order the meds and start him on it soon as it arrives! Thank so very much!

Medicine finally arrived this afternoon.
Do i open the capsule and sprinkle the powder in his mouth?? Does he get the entire 250mg dose of 1 capsule?
Thank you so very much.... you gals on here are life savers for all the gals and roos that have flock mama's that are clueless!! And if i hear someone say to me one more time... ITS JUST A CHICKEN... i might cage them!! Mine mean so much more to me!!

Pop the whole capsule directly into his beak. He won't have any problem swallowing it. Everyone, and I mean EVERY ONE seems to think chickens can't swallow anything larger than a sun flower seed. Gads. We have people here all the time describing how their chickens run down mice and lizards and swallow them whole. These birds of ours used to be dinosaurs in a previous life. Trust that they can handle a little pill.

Pop the whole capsule directly into his beak. He won't have any problem swallowing it. Everyone, and I mean EVERY ONE seems to think chickens can't swallow anything larger than a sun flower seed. Gads. We have people here all the time describing how their chickens run down mice and lizards and swallow them whole. These birds of ours used to be dinosaurs in a previous life. Trust that they can handle a little pill.
Thank you! Never thought he wouldnt choke on it whole ... hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom