Scaly leg mites?

DuckTapePalace

Chirping
Apr 22, 2023
This is what I see on our Blue Swedish. I suspect it’s mites. She’s been very ginger with this foot and has been limping. We thought she might’ve sprained it but I see this. I’ve seen threads that say Vaseline works? I’m about to treat it with som bag balm, possibly some diluted oregano oil (antibiotic).

Our aviary is floored with smooth river rocks that I hose out every day. I’ve also been throwing down some diotomacious earth with essential oils once it dries to prevent any weirdness (Insects and bacteria that might be attracted or linger from any water that doesn’t drain well-uneven ground occasionally). We have a small kiddie pool that also gets emptied and cleaned daily. I’ve read scaly mites are less common in ducks but if that’s what it is, then maybe I need to step up my anti-microbial game. I may start growing and feeding them oregano (which I’ve heard they like) just to keep them well.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpeg
    IMG_0321.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0319.jpeg
    IMG_0319.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0318.jpeg
    IMG_0318.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0316.jpeg
    IMG_0316.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0315.jpeg
    IMG_0315.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 6
This is what I see on our Blue Swedish. I suspect it’s mites. She’s been very ginger with this foot and has been limping. We thought she might’ve sprained it but I see this. I’ve seen threads that say Vaseline works? I’m about to treat it with som bag balm, possibly some diluted oregano oil (antibiotic).

Our aviary is floored with smooth river rocks that I hose out every day. I’ve also been throwing down some diotomacious earth with essential oils once it dries to prevent any weirdness (Insects and bacteria that might be attracted or linger from any water that doesn’t drain well-uneven ground occasionally). We have a small kiddie pool that also gets emptied and cleaned daily. I’ve read scaly mites are less common in ducks but if that’s what it is, then maybe I need to step up my anti-microbial game. I may start growing and feeding them oregano (which I’ve heard they like) just to keep them well.
I also do not think that’s slm. —sometimes ducks grow weird bumps in their feet, like warts. One of my blue runner ducks had one on top of her foot and it looked like a Raisin ! I sprayed it with Vetericyn and put antibiotic ointment on it every day. ( the kind WITHOUT pain relief)
a couple of times i saw it bleeding a little so I wrapped her foot after spraying it and using the ointment , i wrapped it with a gauze pad and Vet wrap, and she ran around like that for a couple of days. , then i started using a little coloidal silver ointment on it twice a day, and after a couple weeks it disappeared.

AH! I have coloidal silver and have used it before on some things. Thanks so much for your response. Her vet appointment is not for a while so I’m hoping to clear it up and cancel. It looks a lot more like a growth than an infection though it seems similar from some pictures.

I also do not think that’s slm. —sometimes ducks grow weird bumps in their feet, like warts. One of my blue runner ducks had one on top of her foot and it looked like a Raisin ! I sprayed it with Vetericyn and put antibiotic ointment on it every day. ( the kind WITHOUT pain relief)
a couple of times i saw it bleeding a little so I wrapped her foot after spraying it and using the ointment , i wrapped it with a gauze pad and Vet wrap, and she ran around like that for a couple of days. , then i started using a little coloidal silver ointment on it twice a day, and after a couple weeks it disappeared.
Thank you again for this suggestion. After doing this for just a few days (once a day as my full schedule allows currently) there is a noticeable difference! The edges are smoothing out and she is limping much less. I noticed this thing was happening on her heels as well and have been treating them. Will share photos when I get the chance <3

Back
Top Bottom