scaly leg mites

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
i think my bantam cochin has scaly leg mites.i looked up a pic on here and thats what it looks like.i already put vasoline on her but was wondering if i could use canola oil cooking spray? ( i found some and seems it would be easier to apply) if so how often should i spray her? how long before shes better? i have her inside because i dont want the rest of my flock to get it.
thanks for any info...

oh heck. these can be very very hard to get rid of, I've been trying to clean up a banty for about 6 months now.
1. yes you can use oil, but vaseline or bag balm sticks better and lasts longer
2. if you haven't wormed y our chickens lately, consider ivermectin drops (search for dosage) as it kills the scaly leg mites. I'm not a fan of overmedicating, but given my lack of success in eradicating the scaly leg mites, I'ld go for the meds
3. clean out your coop, oil up the roosts, and start preventive oiling/vaselining of your other chickens - once a week.
4. FYI, i've tried: vaseline, veggie oil, wd40 ( i was desperate), camphofenique, bag balm,ivermectin (cleared it up in the other hens), veterX, tea tree oil.

I'm back to once a week greasing on all chickens, and every other day with the poor featherfooted banty (she came with mites when I got her).

good luck!

What is DE? I don't know all my chicken acronyms
hmm.png

Jake the rooster has scaly leg mites. I've been treating him with baby oil and Vaseline but nothing has changed. I look up treatments and get a vast array of everything you can imagine. In a google search, someone had taken their chicken to the vet and they told them to use ivermectin. Where can I find that? Is it sold at TSC or Southern States or is it something I'd have to get from the vet?

Back
Top Bottom