1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

scaly leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cactus-hen, May 23, 2011.

1. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Let me preface this to say that my chickens are not pets. I love them and all fifty have names but I can not hold them or even get close to some of them. We were exposed to scaly leg mite over a year ago. I had never seen them before and didn't recognize them nor realize how horrific they were in a flock. One of my hens went broody and after I put eggs under her I noticed she had a moderate case of leg mites. I decided not to treat her at that time. Now is the fourth day of putting Vasoline on her legs. When I massaged it into her legs this morning several large chunks of dead scale came off. The skin underneath is raw and/or bloody. The other chickens cannot get to her so I'm not worried about them picking at her. Should I put something on the raw areas or just keep them covered with the Vasoline?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You can use a medicated ointment like Neosporin if you want, but I'd just keep them slathered in the Vaseline. I like to use Bag Balm on their legs. It serves the same purpose as the Vaseline, but has an antiseptic in it, as well.

Good luck.

3. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Thank you, I do have bag balm and never thought to use that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by