Scaly leg mites???

katschooks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012
Devon, England
Right!! where to begin, I rescued 9 chickens about 3 weeks ago, all appear to have settled in really well, they are now in a mixed flock, (as they were two seperate flocks in cages right next to each other). they were covered in muck and mud, which im glad to report is now all gone, but now i appear to have what i think may be scaly leg mites on most of the hens, how is the best way of treating this, (I have heard dipping feet in sergical spirit daily, until its cleared) but until i am certain that they are mites, i am reluctant to do this, and also not sure on how safe this would be for my hens) Also in one of the coops (they still sleep seperate) i find lots of white flakes (a bit like skin) is this just skin or is it likely to be something else? I know most of what i am asking is probably basic, but i am new to chooks and like to check things out fully before treatment!
Thanks Kat

Right!! where to begin, I rescued 9 chickens about 3 weeks ago, all appear to have settled in really well,  they are now in a mixed flock, (as they were two seperate flocks in cages right next to each other). they were covered in muck and mud, which im glad to report is now all gone, but now i appear to have what i think may be scaly leg mites on most of the hens, how is the best way of treating this, (I have heard dipping feet in sergical spirit daily, until its cleared) but until i am certain that they are mites, i am reluctant to do this, and also not sure on how safe this would be for my hens) Also in one of the coops (they still sleep seperate) i find lots of white flakes (a bit like skin) is this just skin or is it likely to be something else? I know most of what i am asking is probably basic, but i am new to chooks and like to check things out fully before treatment! 
Thanks Kat
Also, those white flakes are feather shafts shedding. Completely normal! Don't worry about it at all :)

Back
Top Bottom