Scaly mites

Neem oil will kill scaly leg mites and isn't harmful to chickens if you dilute it properly (it's usually sold as a concentrate) per the packaging directions. Use an old toothbrush or similar and soak/clean the feet/legs well with a mixture including neem oil then use something like vasoline or bag balm. Keep doing it weekly till the mites are gone.
Do you think wrapping legs are helpful after doing the soaking and applying vasoline?

No, I never wrap the legs after applying oil. They get dirt on them, but the oil usually stays on for a few days. Castor oil is a bit neater, and may stay on longer.

Did you get the idea for gasoline from this link?
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/
There are other ways to treat it without the fumes of gas, which might be harmful to a chicken. I would just rub the legs with vaseline or A and D twice a week. Please post a picture of the legs.
Interesting. I've heard people use turpentine on the legs. However, this is not the regular turpentine. There is pure gum spirits (turpentine) for sale on Amazon. Not paint thinner. It still stinks.

We have silkies who are prone to getting scaly leg mites. We've been through them three times now.

The first time: Mixed Vaseline with some Desitin diaper rash and Vicks. Brought a flashlight and a partner and at night, slathered their legs and feet with it. Skip a night, third night do it again, skip a night, then do it again for 3X total. That took care of it.

The second time: Same thing.

The third time: We had 14 silkies this time and no way I was going to slather 28 feathered feet, so I went the Ivermectin route. Per https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/04/29/ivermectin-for-parasite-control/ we used one drop of the 5mg liquid Ivermectin on their backs up toward the neck and spread their feathers so it hit the skin. We repeated it in 10 days. This was about a month ago. They are looking way better!
Hi. How Much of each? Desitin, Vicks and Vaseline?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom