Scaly mites

Gene Kanten

Chirping
Sep 15, 2019
My Roo has scaly mites. I soaked him in Epson salt, but ivemntium a couple drops under each wing and nap of neck and all over legs. Wrapped with gasoline. How offer do I do this? I am afraid to use to much ivemntium on him. He weighs 20lbs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vasoline. Damn auto correct. Anyone else willing to answer my questions?
Neem oil will kill scaly leg mites and isn't harmful to chickens if you dilute it properly (it's usually sold as a concentrate) per the packaging directions. Use an old toothbrush or similar and soak/clean the feet/legs well with a mixture including neem oil then use something like vasoline or bag balm. Keep doing it weekly till the mites are gone.

Vasoline. Damn auto correct. Anyone else willing to answer my questions?
Oh okay. Vaseline, vegetable oil, castor oil, coconut oil, and others can be used. Nustock horse cream that has oil and sulfur powder works very well to kill them. I would rub some of whatever you use on at least twice a week. Do you have any pictures of the leg scales? In the beginning, you can soak the legs and feet in a warm tub of Epsom salts water for about 15 minutes. A bathtub works well, or 5 gallon bucket, but make sure it is in a warm spot, and dry him well. Then apply the ointment. You can repeat the ivermectin in 14 days to get any mite eggs that hatch.

We have silkies who are prone to getting scaly leg mites. We've been through them three times now.

The first time: Mixed Vaseline with some Desitin diaper rash and Vicks. Brought a flashlight and a partner and at night, slathered their legs and feet with it. Skip a night, third night do it again, skip a night, then do it again for 3X total. That took care of it.

The second time: Same thing.

The third time: We had 14 silkies this time and no way I was going to slather 28 feathered feet, so I went the Ivermectin route. Per https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/04/29/ivermectin-for-parasite-control/ we used one drop of the 5mg liquid Ivermectin on their backs up toward the neck and spread their feathers so it hit the skin. We repeated it in 10 days. This was about a month ago. They are looking way better!

The dosage of ivermectin when using the 5 mg per ml pour-on type is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight, on the back of the neck over the spine.

The article on oatmeal was written by a poultry nutritionist PHD who works for Purina. I think it means that oatmeal should not be given daily. You can substitute wet chicken feed for better results. Here is the article for anyone who wants to read it:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/#:~:text=The B-vitamins are lower,day nutritionally in the hole.”

Back
Top Bottom