Scared chickie

Chrisco kid

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
I have a jubilee orpington that has always kept to itself, it always seems scared and skittish. It's also always the last one out of the coop. What can I do to help it?

They'll be like that. Chicks seem to go through a rewiring at a couple weeks and see you as a predator even if you hand raised them. Let them grow up more and they may calm down. Are there older hens there too or just birds their age?

Give your youngster some time ... and a lot of hand-fed treats. Once she realizes that you are the "Bringer of Good Things to Eat," you may have a hard time keeping her out of your pockets!

EDIT for Happy-Finger typos!

Last edited:
The way I took your post, is that the bird is uncomfortable with her flock mates, not necessarily afraid of you. Perhaps both.

Add more clutter to your run, make sure that birds can get out of sight of each other, and away from each other. Platforms, roosts, mini walls, blind areas are very important.

Some birds are very sensitive to overcrowding. What was enough space for smaller chicks, often times starts to become NOT ENOUGH space for larger chicks. This tension often shows up at the age you are at. What are the numbers of chicks, what are your measurements of you run/coop. People often mistakenly believe if they are raised together they will be BFF, and be able to live overcrowded. Chickens do not agree.

I think you are picking up tension in the flock, and you may soon notice some type of aggression. Might be wrong, but pictures of your set up, would be good for giving advice.

Mrs K

I have a 10×20 run and pur coop is pretty large.
15944061589273253977744649445396.jpg

You have plenty of room for 14 chickens ... and your young helper, too! I think your spooky chick is just going through the next stage of "fight or flight" development. Orps can be really friendly birds, but they're like people, too. Each one has its' own personality, so she may not ever be a snuggler. The best thing you can do is try to make friends with her - treats are always a good idea!

Looks like a nice set up, but it is wide open. Any bird in any place can see all the other birds all of the time. You need to add some clutter into that run. Things like ladders, roosts, saw horses, small pieces of plywood, pallets, lean things up against the fence.

If you think about it, your run is basically 2 dimensional, your birds really only have the floor. You need to create usable space in the third dimension, height. This allows birds to get away from each other, it gives them more exercise, makes the run more interesting. It creates even more space as birds can get on top of and underneath a platform, be on top of a roost or underneath it.

Space and good use of space allows birds to get along much better, it makes the run more interesting. And it gives more timid birds a little more space.

But this is a nice set up. You might very well be worrying about nothing that won't solve itself with a bit of time. Be aware, keep on watching like you are, but once in a very great while, you will get a bird that just does not fit in with the flock. I always solve for peace in the flock. I would not separate them, that will make it worse.

Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom