Scared Duckling

AislanHay

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
So I am new to backyard Duck Farming. As of now my 5 ducklings are in the garage in their brooder. I have two dogs who are curious but are scared of this new addition. My husband was putting the dogs in their kennel in the garage for the night and one of my dogs got a little too curious. He ending up picking one of the three week old ducklings in his mouth. There were no visible wounds but she wasn't peeping normally and she was laying down with labored breathing. I was up every hour through the night checking on her. This morning she was up eating, drinking water running around with her sisters and peeping like normal again like nothing happened. I have put chicken wire over their brooder now. But has anyone seen anything like this before? Am I out of the woods yet? I'll take any advice I can! Thanks!!

Idk if you're out of the woods yet, but if normal behavior has returned, that's always a great thing!!! She was probably just scared. Ducks are prey animals and she probably thought that pup was going to eat her. Good job with the chicken wire. Just watch her, but I think she's okay, probably just stress.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it! I'm hoping she's okay. If you saw my reaction last night you would had thought the world was ending. I was crying all night!!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it! I'm hoping she's okay. If you saw my reaction last night you would had thought the world was ending. I was crying all night!!

Awww you're such a sweet ducky parent! We all worry about our babies around here. You keep up the good work! :D she's a lucky ducky to have an attentive parent.

That is an indication that you will really have to keep an eye on the Dogs around the Ducks till the Dogs recognize them as part of the pack....;)........My Dogs, all 5 love my Ducks....If they are trustworthy Dogs?....Take the babies out of the Brooder for free time and let the Dogs learn the Ducks are not to be touched....My Dogs would never touch a Duck or a Chicken.....Sounds scary, although it works...:)

Cheers!

Yes I definitely understand that! They have been great for the past two weeks I'm not sure what happened! But that is encouraging for the future. They are great dogs we've been introducing them slowly but I've found a good artical on how to duck proof your dogs so I'm going to implement that asap! Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Yes I definitely understand that! They have been great for the past two weeks I'm not sure what happened! But that is encouraging for the future. They are great dogs we've been introducing them slowly but I've found a good artical on how to duck proof your dogs so I'm going to implement that asap! Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Dogs are silly and I'm sure he never intended to hurt the baby.....That is his house and might of felt the need to protect his place...?.......;)....No one likes to share...

I'm sure you will get a handle on this issue..;)

Best wishes.....:)

Back
Top Bottom