scared newbie

ginger67

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
I just got ten pulletts last wednesday. This is my first attempt of raising chickens. I got 2 barred rocks, 2 RIR, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 Australorps and 2 golden laced wyandottes. Reading these posts has scared me that raising healthy chickens maybe very hard. I grew up around my grandmother raising chickens and I don't remember her having problems with them. I want to be a good chicken mom and am already falling in love with my girls. I talk to them daily like they could understand. Any newbie advice.

If you feed them good and keep the water clean and have a protected coop/run area and a little maintance and a few preventative things, it is easy. Much easier than dogs, cats, most house pets, and probably for sure easier than other livestock (but only guessing).

With so many posts tLking about injuries, deaths and sickness ails worried, but really it's easy. Just keep them clean, feed them well, and keep an eye on mites lice and worms . This is my very first time with chickens to, I love it. I have 5 girls, soon to lay eggs and there happy healthy and fun. Relax, you will do fine.
big_smile.png

This is also my first time to raise chickens. Mine are 14 weeks old, and so far I have been fortunate. It has been 108 several days in a row and I come home expecting to lose one or two from heat. My hubby says it is because they are in the shade ALL day and always have plenty of water. I am also going to see how they like frozen watermelon. The frozen blueberries seemed to be a hit after they thawed a bit. I actually got that advise here on BYC. As a matter of fact, I joined this site because as soon as I found out we would be bringing chickens home, I started researching how much space they would need for their coop and pen, when to expect them to start laying eggs, how to tell if they were boys or girls, ect. Everytime I did a search in usually sent me to BYC and I always found really great information. I can assure you that you are in the right place. Someone is always happy to help.

Just remember, the majority of folks are raising their birds with very few problems and all the "bad stuff" is concentrated into the Emergencies/Disease/Injuries and Cures Index. I was totally freaked out at first too. So, read those things to learn what to look for, but try not to become overwhelmed. Just enjoy the heck out of them
smile.png

Sounds like you chose a really nice and varied flock
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the coolest place on the internet for chicken knowledge.

I started with chickens last summer and the people of BYC have been great. This year I have tried hatching and buying chicks for even more chickeny joy. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

Chickens are pretty resilient. I made a lot of mistakes but my flock is still doing pretty well. Feel free to visit my blog and learn about errors not to make.

I tried very hard to stay out of this Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum because it scare ME so much, too. When I hit a post about "gape worms," that was it. I no longer rummage around in here unless the subject line is something I feel I can address.

So, welcome to BYC and here's some standard advice I give to folks new to keeping chickens, which you may find useful:

1. If you glance in the brooder and see dead chicks, DO NOT PANIC right away. Tap the brooder on the side and I bet, magically, those chicks will wake up. They sleep suddenly, anywhere they happen to be at the time they fall asleep, sometimes even in the classical "on back, legs stretched out" pose. You think you almost see little Xs in their eyes. But this is common, folks thinking their chicks have died when they're just asleep. Perhaps, if this hasn't happened to you yet, I can save you a heart attack.

2. Chicks on their sides, kicking and flapping, are NOT having seizures. They are dust bathing in their bedding. It looks a LOT like some awful convulsion, but it's perfectly normal. Again, no need for heart medication on your part.

3. All chicks spar and "fight" - they are establishing the pecking order almost as soon as they can stand up outside of their shells. Boys and girls do it. 'Tain't nuthin' ominous about it. They run at each other, they stop and stand up really tall (all of 3 or 4 inches), they bump chests, all that gladiator ring stuff. Even the adorable little girl chicks. Also, female chickens also grow spurs, so when the spur "bump" appears, do not automatically think you got a boy there.

4. You suddenly notice a hard lump in one or more chicks' necks and are postive those are tumors of some sort. Nope, just a full crop. Do not panic. Wait until the next morning and check the chick(s) again - most probably the "tumor" will have vanished. This is a common discovery.

5. Enjoy the chicks when they get the "zoomies." They will run around at top speed all over the place, and sometimes, when one gets to zooming around, it will trigger other chicks to do the same. Wheee!

6. Get a good camera. Take a whole lot of pictures. Post them here on BYC for everybody to see (once you are able to upload and share photos). We love pictures!

gryeyes... What an awesome reply!!
clap.gif

ginger67... Welcome to the crazy chicken community.
welcome-byc.gif

Everything gryeyes said is exactly what I went through when I first got chickens over 3 years ago.

Just remember, there are no silly questions... just come here and ask.
I never would have made it through the first year if it wasn't for this site...(okay, first month).
This is a HUGE community of wonderful people full of knowledge and experience, so you are guaranteed to get good advice and great support!

Back
Top Bottom