Scared to even ask

ChickieLinds

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2017
New London, PA
So we moved our girls into a new coop a few months ago. The floor and run are dirt and dry. I have also introduced a few new birds (1 from tractor supply, 2 from people who are NPIP certified.)
I noticed some of my older girls making some sneezes/congestion sounds. I thought it was just me but now I am worried.
I also lost my rooster of 4 years. His crow became almost muted and we found him by the the water dish. His comb was purplish in color and he couldn’t keep water down. He ended up dying in my arms.
I am really hoping this isn’t all related.

Sorry to hear of your problems. When did your rooster die? Did he decline suddenly, just the day he died, or had he been showing symptoms for a while, and if so, for how long? I'm sorry, but it's not clear to me from your post. Also, for how long have your older girls been sneezing and making these congestion sounds? Did that all start right away when you moved them into the new coop, or after introducing the new birds?

Sorry for your loss. How long after you introduced the new chickens, did the rooster become sick? Not knowing what exactly was wrong with him, it is hard to know if adding new birds introduced a respiratory illness, or if he had some other problem, such as a heart ailment or something else. When you lose a chicken, the best thing you can do is refrigerate, but don’t freeze the body, and call your state vet to do a necropsy. Here is a list of sate vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Sorry to hear of your problems. When did your rooster die? Did he decline suddenly, just the day he died, or had he been showing symptoms for a while, and if so, for how long? I'm sorry, but it's not clear to me from your post. Also, for how long have your older girls been sneezing and making these congestion sounds? Did that all start right away when you moved them into the new coop, or after introducing the new birds?
I heard his crow sounding a bit muffled sometime over the weekend and than he passed about 4-5 days later. I honestly didn’t even think much of it. He has always been so sweet and docile and they free range during the day so I didn’t even see a huge change with him.
I guess maybe I noticed it a few weeks after introducing the new girls. However, none of the new girls seem to “sound” congested etc.

I also tend to lose birds during molting or in January when our weather is the coldest. The extra stress can put one who is struggling, over the edge. My girls are molting now, and I have lost a 7 year old and 8 year old hen in the last 2 weeks. I had not lost any since January.

Back
Top Bottom