Scared to let them out

Gingerwitchchickenlove

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2017
I have recently bought chickens. I have had them for a week and have now started to let them outside into the garden. But I am scared foxes will get them. Numerous of comments have been said about foxes killing their chickens. What shall I do? Is their any protection against pests?

Welcome to the World of Chicken!

If you have an aggressive fox you stand a chance of losing some. Is there a fenced-in area outside? How old are your birds?

The way I protect my girls when out (very rural area, lots of stuff out there that wants to eat them) is by being out w/ them. But of course not everyone can do that.

Good luck w/ it. You may end up having to keep them in a run.

Even being out with them doesn't always help. I had two hawks swoop down on my girls within a week, with me standing right among them. Luckily both missed. I have also had foxes cross the yard right with me sitting there. Generally, I just aim to keep the fox population thinned out as much as possible, being that we have an overabundance (from an ecological perspective).

Welcome to the World of Chicken!

If you have an aggressive fox you stand a chance of losing some. Is there a fenced-in area outside? How old are your birds?

The way I protect my girls when out (very rural area, lots of stuff out there that wants to eat them) is by being out w/ them. But of course not everyone can do that.

Good luck w/ it. You may end up having to keep them in a run.
My chickens are only 6 months old and I fear for them! We do have a run but it needs a polish! Thanks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom