1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scared to let them out

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gingerwitchchickenlove, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Gingerwitchchickenlove

Gingerwitchchickenlove Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    I have recently bought chickens. I have had them for a week and have now started to let them outside into the garden. But I am scared foxes will get them. Numerous of comments have been said about foxes killing their chickens. What shall I do? Is their any protection against pests?

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the World of Chicken!

If you have an aggressive fox you stand a chance of losing some. Is there a fenced-in area outside? How old are your birds?

The way I protect my girls when out (very rural area, lots of stuff out there that wants to eat them) is by being out w/ them. But of course not everyone can do that.

Good luck w/ it. You may end up having to keep them in a run.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Even being out with them doesn't always help. I had two hawks swoop down on my girls within a week, with me standing right among them. Luckily both missed. I have also had foxes cross the yard right with me sitting there. Generally, I just aim to keep the fox population thinned out as much as possible, being that we have an overabundance (from an ecological perspective).

4. Gingerwitchchickenlove

Gingerwitchchickenlove Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    My chickens are only 6 months old and I fear for them! We do have a run but it needs a polish! Thanks for the advice :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by