Scared to Stress Him Out

Burkhead Holler Ranch

In the Brooder
Dec 24, 2020
I have a duck that is injured, and I am new at this, looking for advice and wisdom from my farming family. He has wounds around his neck, and he hasn't cleaned it himself but won't let me clean it either. He is very tame and was raised in the house with a litter of puppies. He is solid white and huge compared to my black ducks. He lets us pet him and stuff but if we try to restrain him, I can feel his heart rate increase by a decent amount. He becomes extremely agitated, and I am afraid of stressing him out and causing more damage. Is there any way to calm them while handling them? I know I have to clean it and could use advice on that too. What is the best thing to use to clean it and are there any tricks you could let me in on when it comes to technique?

I'd try covering his head with a towel to keep him calm. May require a helper to restrain him while you clean the wounds. I'd clean the wounds with warm salt water. Disinfect them with peroxide and dress the wound with neosporin.

How’s your boy doing?

Sometimes the best way to do this is to grab them when they’re sleeping for the night and tend to them in a dark room. That’s why the towel works too - birds feel safe in enclosed, dark spaces (unlike most humans!).

Overall, remember that the risk of infection is far greater than the risk from him panicking. Sometimes we have to be a little bit cruel to be kind.

Back
Top Bottom