Scaredy hen

Yes! Menacing puffs! Poor girl spent three weeks brooding "walnuts" so I got her day olds slipped them under and waited for that mama hen magic.
Instead I got to stop a comb gusher because crazy girl ran into the coop wall trying to escape.
Acted like I put grizzly bears under her, and she'll still brood anything under the sun...just not those puffs.:p
"menacing puffs" :lau

They're called chickens for a reason!!! :lau Mine can be such scaredy cats!!!!
Actually it's the other way around, why we use those terms for fearfulness. But you probably know that ;)

Ok, I have them in a brooder in the house and on nice warm days I let them outside to learn about the outside world. I’m happy she isn’t hurting them, hopefully I can move them in there with her by the end of the month.
Can you put them in a wire crate in the coop, that way she can get used to them without them 'touching'(horrors!) her.

Actually it's the other way around, why we use those terms for fearfulness. But you probably know that ;)

Can you put them in a wire crate in the coop, that way she can get used to them without them 'touching'(horrors!) her.
It’s still pretty cold outside here, but it is a plan when it gets warmer.

They also get let outside on warm days, and she watches from a distance and occasionally comes near them to steal food and watch

It’s still pretty cold outside here, but it is a plan when it gets warmer.
Are they still under heat in the house?
How cold outside is it?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-3-6_15-19-44.png

Try putting a mirror in front of her, or maybe show her videos of the other chickens you have. Maybe when she actually sees them, she won't be afraid.
She knows what she looks like, and I don’t have any other chickens. These chicks are the only others I have.

Are they still under heat in the house?
How cold outside is it?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1692915
They are, it’s still around the 30s but getting warmer. I am in Tennessee

I'd just keep on with the day trips....and maybe start weaning them off the heat.
I like to open the windows in the brooder room.

Making a huddle box might help the transition too:
Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.

Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.

Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.

Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.

This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

Back
Top Bottom