Scaredy hen

I won’t have a problem getting them use to the coop, I’m just trying to get my hen use to the new chicks and understand they are the same animal. They have done great adjusting to outside and all that, I have had chicks before. But never had to transition in with another hen. I had to trade my first chicks last summer because they were both roosters and I got a hen in exchange

I won’t have a problem getting them use to the coop, I’m just trying to get my hen use to the new chicks and understand they are the same animal.
Even if the hen "understands they are the same animal" she still needs to get used to the 'interlopers'...the day trips will help with that...and it might be easier on her if the chicks are in a crate.

I like to let them out on nice days and roam on their own together “ chicks” hen is free range 80%. Does that count

I would guess since she's never been around other chickens, the chicks are an unknown to her. Anything "new" seems to scare my birds.
Don't want to derail this thread or anything but just wanted to say how much I love your avatar. Every time I see it I get a giggle.

I like to let them out on nice days and roam on their own together “ chicks” hen is free range 80%. Does that count
Sure.

Hen watches from a distance, I don’t own a crate or cage
IMO, every chickeneer should own a crate..or two or three or four. :D
Can get them cheap($10-20) at yard sale flea market.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

Don't want to derail this thread or anything but just wanted to say how much I love your avatar. Every time I see it I get a giggle.
It does me too!!

Sure.

IMO, every chickeneer should own a crate..or two or three or four. :D
Can get them cheap($10-20) at yard sale flea market.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

It does me too!!

x2 on the crate! You never know when you might need to set up a spot for a medical issue, or a broody (if/when you have one) or when you want to introduce new birds.

They're well worth the minimal expense.

P.S. Thanks for the smiles re: the avatar...I've gotten rather attached to it :lol:

I have cat carriers, but I want a crate that has a wire bottom. But also comes with a flooring so it doesn’t hurt their feet when put up. Wire bottom so they can still peck at grass and eat bugs etc

But also comes with a flooring so it doesn’t hurt their feet when put up. Wire bottom so they can still peck at grass and eat bugs etc
I like the added 1x2 crate mesh added to bottom of crate,
if installed carefully then you can use tray inside of or under crate to keep feet cleaner and exams of poops clearer.

I toss a chunk of 2x4 in there for feet relief if needed.

Back
Top Bottom