SCG - New to Backyard Chickens.com

SCG

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2017
I am always come to the backyard chicken website for questions to answers so finally decided to join!.

We own 5 acres and naturally work full time to a maintain the passion of owning and riding 4 horses and have a mini-horse too. Once we purchased the farm raising chickens seemed like a good idea and now we have had chickens for the last 4 +/- years. We raise for eggs and maintain a small business selling the eggs to co-workers and friends!

Along with the horses and chickens we have 2 smooth collies, 2 indoor cats, and feed various barn cats that live around the property.

Interested in anyone else new to backyard chickens in Florida since I do feel some things that affect chickens can be state related!

Right now I have an issue of I am losing a chicken everyone one to two weeks and now idea why!

Welcome to BYC! I have a smooth coat collie too, a male named Beau ('Bo'). He is great with the chickens.
Do you think it is sickness or predators? If you could discribe how the chickens died that would be more helpful, such as, it was yesterday morning, I went out to let out the chickens and one was just dead in the coop, or it was last night and i went out to lock up the chickens and there was a trail of feathers leading into the woods and my chicken was missing. One says sickness, the other says predator. Good luck!

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Welcome to BYC! I have a smooth coat collie too, a male named Beau ('Bo'). He is great with the chickens.
Do you think it is sickness or predators? If you could discribe how the chickens died that would be more helpful, such as, it was yesterday morning, I went out to let out the chickens and one was just dead in the coop, or it was last night and i went out to lock up the chickens and there was a trail of feathers leading into the woods and my chicken was missing. One says sickness, the other says predator. Good luck!
My two collies are great with the chickens once they got past the puppy stage! My chickens aren't dying from a predator but just losing one every two weeks for the last 4 - 6 weeks. One day lethargic and then the next day or so dead!

Are these grown birds or chicks? Any symptoms before their die? Maybe you could bring one newly dead, to the vet for a necropsy and find out what you are dealing with.

They are all adults and since the last one died I researched having a necropsy done and in Florida I can send it to Gainesville or Tallahassee so next time (hoping there isn't a next time but...) I'l send the dead one on for a necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom