SchmidtChicks Waddling Adventure

SchmidtChicks

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Qld, Australia
Hello and Welcome~

I thought I'd start this thread to share th progress of our adventure diving into Duck ownership.

Today, 7th April, we finally picked up our newest 4 additions. Jelly, Bean, Pogo, and Legless~ between 2 - 3 week old Muscovies.

I'll be sharing as much as I can, when I can. Including our hand-calming them, learning new things about them, and our project next week of building a coop that'll suit them full grown.

We currently have them legbanded (small zipties), with room to grow so we can identify at a glance who is who. And the colors labelled are their bands, excluding Legless who has none (hence the name!).

20200407_161017.jpg

^ All ducklings in a kids pool- we provided them a large kitty litter tray to wade in, and scattered feed for their first day.
(*they also have an indoor enclosure for nights and when we aren't outside to supervise)

20200407_143619.jpg

^Jelly getting her first cuddles. We suspect a female as she is the smallest so far.

20200407_144056.jpg

^ Bean. 2nd suspected female, at least we have high hopes. Slightly larger than Jelly, but small than Pogo and Legless.

20200407_145338.jpg

^ Pogo. Apparently likes to sit in the feed and water. Hoping another female, but considering male as similar size to Legless. Good jumper can escape the pool / pen if the others are removed.

20200407_145410.jpg

^ Legless. We assume a definite Drake. Largest of the four, and the most shy. Looses his confidence when separated from his flock.

Is there any great way to determine sexes at this age? We aren't in a rush, as we've got a record of mis-sexing with a chicken we've found out is a roo 😅 (Woops!)

I'm relieved to find out why Legless has his? name. I was worried!!

Loved the photos. Ducklings are darlings, though messy ones at that.

I think sexing them at that point is really an art. Even my runner duck breeder, who has been at this for a while, isn't 100 percent when it comes to figuring it out. I am due to get three new ones soon, and last time, she was right two out of three. On the plus side, she offered to let me return the drake baby, but it seemed cruel at that point because he'd bonded with his harem of two girls. And, eventually, he and the two adult drakes became buddies.

Maybe it's easier with Muscovies (never had any), but hand-calming my runners has always been just a dream. To this day, the oldest ones will allow me to hold out my hand with feed in it and they will gobble their food. But anything else causes a full-blown panic, even though I raised all but one since they were just days old.

Looking forward to seeing how everything goes for you.

Its day two with our four little waddlers, and they're slowly settling in. They slept so peacefully last night without a peep that disturbed us.

20200407_220338.jpg

^ All huddled and snuggled up for bedtime.

We have 3 dogs, a cat, so its a bit of an adjustment with them sniffing around curiously. But thankfully the furkids are all bomb proof and (other than flies) wouldn't hurt another living being.

This morning myself and our daughter sat and removed the barrier between the littles and ourselved, we even offered some foraging food from our hands which they came around to nibble.

Slowly, but surely they'll calm down soon enough.

20200408_092538.jpg

^ All acting curious when we removed the barrier between us and them.

20200408_092908.jpg

^ Realising we were spectating and returning to previous shenanigans.

20200408_093823.jpg

^* Our daughter trying to resist all impulse to touch and grab the babies.

* This is our homemade indoor enclosure for them it is 60W x 60H x 60L (cm) and is only temporary until they are bigger and more settled with us. It is made from awning weather fabric, re-used 2x4 and scrap wood, and a linoleum base. The door is the base dividing tray from a bird cage we didn't need and just slides in and out.

We're so excited to continue this adventure, and today managed to pick up some chicken mesh for a temporary yard enclosure for free range play (supervised of course).

Might manage to put it together tomorrow, or late this evening for a morning run around.

They are gorgeous. I’d love this experience but knowing my luck they’d all be drakes and I’d get far too attached. 😂

Can’t wait to see how they grow! 🙂
We're crossing everything to have at least 2 females from the lot. Preferably 3 with only 1 drake. But we aren't too fussy, it was a gamble we were willing to take! 🤔😉

Tonight we managed to assemble their little run for grass time during the day when we are supervising. We tested their size to the mesh and decided to double layer in attempts to deter any escapes.

Resized_20200408_165849.jpeg

^ Assembling the required pieces for our project. Assistant gets an A+.

Resized_20200408_174804.jpeg

^ Adding the mesh, well and truly before realising I had to half the heigh and double the sides.

Resized_20200408_182349.jpeg

^ Toddler and chicken approved!

20200408_193230.jpg

^ Final Product - roughly 120L x 70W x 45H (cm). Constructed from standard chicken wire (double layered), an old coffee table frame, and some zipties. We may yet add a roof, but this will be strict supervised play.

20200408_192246.jpg

^ Loving on Pogo who was happy enough to sit and accept it all. Even trued to lay down and sleep until the daughter moved and spooked them a little.

20200408_192532.jpg

^ Look at Jelly stuffing herself full while the others chill out! Must have a blackhole for a belly.

We've given up on ziptie legbands as both Jelly and Pogo lost theirs, which we've located and discarded. Only Bean has one which we will eventually remove too- they're all unique looking and easily told apart by us already.

I'll update tomorrow with their first grass run adventure.

My duck "luck" is legendary with my breeder. Three of my first four -- all chosen by me from many. many ducklings -- turned out to be drakes. After acquiring some older girls to protect them from very romantic then-adolescent boys, the next time I went to her for ducklings. I again chose drake babies. Fortunately, she had started selling sexed babies, and she saved me from myself.

Nice work constructing a play pen!

Back
Top Bottom