Schools and candy

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
My children's school has always allowed teachers to make decisions about candy in their own rooms. How much and when, if the teacher was using it as a reward for certain things or not. It was largely left up to the teacher. Teachers spend ALOT of their own money and candy treats are usually cheaper than others.

Anyway, we have a new principal. She does not allow candy. No birthday party candy, store bought cakes or cookies yes, not candy. For valentines for some reason she said grades K through 3 could exchange candy cards but grades 4 and 5 can exchange cards only - no candy.

She has gone into a classroom and dressed down a teacher in front of her students for allowing a parent to bring in candy for a child's birthday.
roll.png

Bad all the way around on that one.........

I know many parents do not approve of candy exchanges or candy in school at all. But, this seems like an odd parameter for enforcement.

No peanut products have ever been allowed, nor are parents allowed to bring in home made treats.

My DD told me today that the 5th grades are - completely independently - writing her a letter objecting to not being allowed to exchange candy presents on Valentine's Day. They are saying they want to exchange them and not eat them outside of lunch or in school. They are planning a petition.

School's are not a democracy, but I think this is cool. My neighbor does not. What do you think.

I worked in schools for many years and sweets/candy were always allowed for birthday treats, and teachers/helpers always bought sweets for their children at Easter and Christmas. In junior schools (4 - 11 years old) the only valentines that were allowed were ones which the children were encouraged to make for mum/dad or carer. Not surprising, as this is England, and Symbols of affection, such as valentine cards from children are only acceptable if addressed to those who love and look after them. Sweets are a different matter. If parents wish to make a little gift of sweets on their child's behalf to classmates, what harm can there possibly be?

Our whole school district is not allowed candy/cake/cupcakes/cookies not even rice crispy treats or anything like that to be brought in, it's yogurt, carrots and stuff like that for treats, but the food service can sell all that sugary stuff at a high price with out a problem, figure this one out

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I think that's taking it too far. I've got a kid who's a diabetic and even she's allowed the occasional treat of candy. I understand that schools are taking a beating right now because of the terrible nutritional standards but a piece of candy now and again isn't even part of that issue. I'm getting very tired of people's personal agendas or beliefs or allergies or whatever dictating how everyone in school has to live. I don't tell people they can't bring cake to school because my kid is a diabetic, I just tell my kid not to eat the stuff.

I think it is great.

It may not change anything, but it is a good way to learn how to petition and communicate effectively. Like an exercise in political science.
smile.png

we had to stop the homemade stuff this past year...

schools are getting more and more regulated...kids can't have anything in the lunch room except milk and water (just about) even the teachers are not allowed to bring a soda in a bottle or can...we have to put it in a class...we are very small and try to think put the school system is moving further and further from letting individual teachers think. People in teaching wil tell you that the best thing for students is a one-on-one individual lesson...but when you have to answer to powers that aren't near you and that everyone is the same and such it doesn't happen...

You should be proud of your kid...I know the teachers are...I would be. Unfortunately it probably won't doany good but htat reminds me of most elections
roll.png

Good for her! Knowing how to stand up for yourself and what you believe in is important! My parents taught me the opposite, keep your mouth shut and go with the flow. As a result I have been walked on my entire life and didn't learn those skills until I was well over 30. Even now I hear my Dads voice (Redhead, just be quiet). You have taught her well
thumbsup.gif

Things are backwards when students cannot bring homemade treats but it is okay to have fast-food corporations cater the school lunch. I miss the days of yesteryear.

It doesn't bother me in the least if my kid gets occasional candy at school so long as he has had good nutrition before hand. He will vibrate and spin around like a floor sander without an operator if he gets refined sugar without healthy food first. I for one would not want to teach a class with him in it in that condition. Sugar and Red dye will make him act like a lunatic.

Things have changed so much. My father, who would be 60 this year, used to take a .22 rifle to school with him when he was 10 so that he could hunt rabbits on the way home. My son would be suspended instantly if he points his finger with his thumb up.

Ok, I'm gonna stop now before I really start to rant....Changes can be so hard to accept and change is inevitable.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

She has gone into a classroom and dressed down a teacher in front of her students for allowing a parent to bring in candy for a child's birthday.

This is the biggest issue here. This was completely inappropriate. As the teacher, I'd have registered a complaint over this with the local school board. The principal should be censured if she publicly "dressed down" a teacher ESPECIALLY in front of students. A school administrator who behaves in this manner should be removed from his/her position, in my opinion.​

Quote:
This is the biggest issue here. This was completely inappropriate. As the teacher, I'd have registered a complaint over this with the local school board. The principal should be censured if she publicly "dressed down" a teacher ESPECIALLY in front of students. A school administrator who behaves in this manner should be removed from his/her position, in my opinion.

X2
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom