Scissor beak 4 week old

16 paws

Songster
10 Years
Aug 14, 2012
North San Diego County, Vista, Ca.
Hello,
I have a scissor beak chick that is 4 weeks old. She is a Salmon Faverolle and she is being brooded by her mama along with 4 other chicks. The mama and the chicks have been kept in a section of the coop separated by wire. They could see the other chickens but could not touch. I let them join the rest of the flock yesterday and that is going well.
My problem is the bigger flock members are real pigs and consume all of the food I have out and the little chicks are not able to have food all day. Since this chick has a scissor beak and has a harder time eating I would like her to have food at all times so she keeps up her weight.
Does anyone have any ideas on a chick feeder station that would keep the bigger chickens out but the babies could go into and feed. I once saw something on this forum that you could make yourself but I cant remember what it was now
old.gif

Thanks for any help
Marie

i've seen some designs for creep feeders. you can build a thing with bars wide enough for the babies but too small for the grownups. put the chick food inside it. I think you could even do it with some hardware cloth or similar with a 'doorway' sized for the chicks. an upside down cardboard box with a few chick-sized cutouts? I think there are lots of ways you could do it... good luck. I have a Faverolles scissorbeak who is about 3 weeks now. I am trying to figure if there's a way to brace or tape her beak to help it be a bit less out of line later and give her a better chance. For now she's eating and keeping up with the others, she's just a bit runtly in size.

These are very 'special needs' birds, difficult to manage. They can't get food off the ground, or 'chew' things into smaller pieces. A deep dish of crumble or mash, and a deeper water dish, are essential. I've managed to help a couple of affected chicks along, but having one with a broody will be harder. Mom will want everyone to manage, and not give the 'special' one extra time to eat. Don't let the poor chick starve! Mary

Edwena is doing pretty good now. I put her in a special coop and run that butts up to the others so she can still be right beside them. I also give her 2 waters, one that is a crock, like a big bowl and the other one is raised up so she can get the water closer to her mouth. She still tries to pick up tidbits from the ground but I dont think she gets much. I give her a deep dish of fermented feed so its like thick oatmeal and she has chick start and grow in a deep bowl. She has a couple room-mates that are in there with her. She is holding her own and is starting to fill out more. I am keeping a close eye on her. She is sweet and she makes this real special sound like a whistle with her cross beak.

These special needs chicks always find a way to surprise and amaze.
I am also taking care of a blind chick. She is doing well also.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Marie

Back
Top Bottom