Scissor beak baby

ChickyWhicky

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 19, 2022
Iowa, USA
One of my wyandottes has scissor beak & just looking for advice. She is about 9 weeks and it has progressively gotten worse as she ages. She is smaller than the 2 other wyandottes that are the same age. She eats & drinks, although I'm not sure how MUCH. Seems like she is not growing like the others. I have 20 birds & a busy life, so I don't really have the desire (or time) to cater to her as far as providing wet food, different food pans or special treatment. I feel horrible for even typing that but it's my truth. My big fear is that she is not eating enough & suffering. How do I know if she is suffering? She is currently active and no different than the other birds her age, just smaller and slower to grow. She does get picked on a little bit by the older birds, but all of the younger birds are at the bottom of the order right now so doesn't seem out of the norm.

Can you try to feed her at least once a day,please she needs atleast one good meal a day,I would rather worry about her life than care about time

I am worried about her quality of life, that's why I am asking for advice. I do watch her eat, but I am unsure how much she is actually getting due to the beak. The younger birds stay inside the coop after the morning let out and they eat, so I know she has the opportunity to eat from the feeder.

I am worried about her quality of life, that's why I am asking for advice. I do watch her eat, but I am unsure how much she is actually getting due to the beak. The younger birds stay inside the coop after the morning let out and they eat, so I know she has the opportunity to eat from the feeder.
If you decide to go this route, you can find some good advice on this site about gentle euthanasia. Sometimes it's for the best.

We had a scissor beak boy. We tried to keep him and just resolved to not hatch any eggs. We ended up culling around 4-5 months. He would not eat enough on his own once he became more interested in protecting his girls. He should have been gaining weight at that age, but was losing instead. If you decide to keep her, you will need to weigh her regularly to make sure she isn't losing weight.
You have an incredibly hard decision to make, but you need to do what is best for you and your situation :hugs

I am worried about her quality of life, that's why I am asking for advice. I do watch her eat, but I am unsure how much she is actually getting due to the beak. The younger birds stay inside the coop after the morning let out and they eat, so I know she has the opportunity to eat from the feeder
maybe it’s not too late,maybe make her a shake just by adding yogurat or water to her layer feed,then if he doesn’t eat it cull her:(

Back
Top Bottom