Scissor beak

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Does anyone know any ways of helping a chickwith scissor beak? I have one that's really bad (it looks like this > from a bird's eye view)

I'm really not wanting to put her down, she's able to eat and drink at least a little, but I'm worried she won't be able to eat soon if it keeps getting worse. She was fine at hatch and then one day her beak was a little crooked and within a week it was just horrible.

I know she'll always have one, but I'm just looking to make it a little better. She doesn't have enough beak for me to trim like I've read and frankly I just don't even see how that can help her too much

Moistened feed in a deep bowl can facilitate eating, but sometimes the beak gets so bad that they are unable to eat.

Ive tried the moistened feed, she'll eat it if another bird is also eating it, but I'm trying to do something to keep it from getting so bad I have to put her down

Here are some pictures, they're not the best quality since it's late and I try to not stress them a lot before bed.

20200529_205856.jpg
20200529_213024.jpg
20200529_212919.jpg

The pictured don't show it as bad as it really is. It's almost making a right angle

Unfortunately it's likely to get worse. Wet feed in a deep bowl is about as much as you can do to help her eat, short of tube feeding if it comes to it. But if it comes to that you need to be realistic - can you and will you be able to tube feed it every day? If that's not manageable, kinder to put her down rather than let her slowly starve.

Can you get a clearer picture in regular light, it's very hard to make anything out. Scissor beak can be genetic, from an injury, or from being malpositioned in the egg. Many times it will get worse as the bird grows. Depending on the severity some of them do well and live long lives, but may need some special attention. I'ts not 'curable', but it can be 'manageable'. I would weigh the chick regularly to make sure it's growing, though it may grow slower than it's flockmates.
Here are a couple of articles that may help:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2016/05/causes-and-treatment-of-scissor-or.html
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it/

I'll be home in a few hours and I can get a better picture then. I'm really not sure what caused it. She hatched fine and didn't have any problems for like two weeks before it started getting crooked. Neither of her full siblings have it and none of her half siblings do either. She seems to be growing decently. She's the same size as most of the ones she hatched with

Back
Top Bottom